Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Trans shifts hard from D to R to P (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/trans-shifts-hard-from-d-to-r-to-p-24204.html)

1200RT-P 06-08-2011 11:04 PM

Trans shifts hard from D to R to P

This is my first auto transmission car in years, so its quite possible thats why I'm noticing this .... but the trans seems to shift hard/rough when going straight from Drive to Park, or Drive to Reverse. Park to Drive or Park to Reverse is clean/smooth.

Anyone else feel this?

tydallas 06-09-2011 12:05 AM

Is it more of a "thunk" when you shift it into those gears?

mjw930 06-09-2011 07:03 AM

Re: Trans shifts hard from D to R to P

I too noticed this immediately when I took delivery. It a byproduct of the way the torque converter operates. This is not exclusive to this package, others do it as well but the V8 / 545 engine/trans package seems to be worse than others. What's happening is the torque converter isn't fully disengaged when the vehicle is in gear so the drive train binds up against the brakes. When you take it out of gear it release that binding and you get a clunk or "bang". It gets better over time as the torque converter wears in. It's also noticeable when you are stopped in gear. With some automatics you can release the brake and the vehicle won't start moving forward until you give it some gas. On the WK2 it starts moving immediately hence the drive train bind.

Andrew Klossner 06-09-2011 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjw930 (Post 427770)
With some automatics you can release the brake and the vehicle won't start moving forward until you give it some gas.

Not many vehicles do that. The expectation among American drivers is that the car will creep forward when the transmission is in D even with no commanded acceleration. My wife's Prius mimics that behavior -- it will engage the electric motor to creep forward.

1200RT-P 06-09-2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tydallas (Post 427714)

Yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjw930 (Post 427770)
I too noticed this immediately when I took delivery. It a byproduct of the way the torque converter operates. This is not exclusive to this package, others do it as well but the V8 / 545 engine/trans package seems to be worse than others. What's happening is the torque converter isn't fully disengaged when the vehicle is in gear so the drive train binds up against the brakes. When you take it out of gear it release that binding and you get a clunk or "bang". It gets better over time as the torque converter wears in. It's also noticeable when you are stopped in gear. With some automatics you can release the brake and the vehicle won't start moving forward until you give it some gas. On the WK2 it starts moving immediately hence the drive train bind.

Well, as long as its not detrimental to the transmission, I can deal with it. Just something I noticed. Glad to hear it will get better with age.

mjw930 06-09-2011 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Klossner (Post 427833)
Not many vehicles do that. The expectation among American drivers is that the car will creep forward when the transmission is in D even with no commanded acceleration. My wife's Prius mimics that behavior -- it will engage the electric motor to creep forward.

GM's seem to do it less than others to the point that if you are on any slight incline they will actually drift backwards. I'm also talking about the more traditional RWD vehicles, not the transverse FWD vehicles.

The Imports take it to an extreme, my Touareg would move forward with a 5000 lb trailer attached, the WK2 isn't that bad.

bselman 06-09-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tydallas (Post 427714)

Yes X 2. Clunk is heard inside the cabin. I also hear a clank when the windows are open. I too was hoping it would disappear, yet almost 4K miles on the ODO, still happens. Plus, if I may add, R to D as well when coming to a stop before changing the gear shifter.

tydallas 06-09-2011 05:38 PM

I don't know if it would be the same thing (I have a WK) but you might want to check your diff. bushings. I had the exact same issue with mine, it was a hard "thunk" when I shifted from P to R, R to N, R to P etc. Ever since I replaced them it shifts smooth as can be. Don't know why they would be bad on a brand new vehicle though?

rpeselman@hotmail.com 08-03-2011 10:47 AM

Hi, I have the same problem with my Jeep. Any updates from folks? Any luck with taking it to the dealer?

1200RT-P 08-03-2011 11:47 AM

how many miles? mine has subsided quite a bit over time. i've got 4500 miles.

rpeselman@hotmail.com 08-03-2011 04:01 PM

Just under 4100 on mine. I hear the clunk when I shift from D to N or D to P.

MoxX 08-04-2011 07:34 AM

yeah im having the same problem here, when shifting from D to N, R or P the thud is so obvious that it feels something is not quite right in the gears...is this something that can be solved or is it just the way it will always have to be???