Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Popping sound when applying brakes (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/popping-sound-when-applying-brakes-24210.html)

Benzie002 06-09-2011 06:54 AM

Popping sound when applying brakes

Hi, Anyone else experiencing a sort of popping sound when stepping on the brakes? Sometimes I hear it when I release it. Sounds like it is coming from front passenger side of car. Doesn't happen 100% of the time but pretty often. Maybe a bad caliper?? Any ideas?
Thanks

fljeepleo 06-11-2011 01:52 PM

Re: Popping sound when applying brakes

I have the same thing, when I hit the brakes there is a dull thud I can feel in the steering wheel. I havent had my JGC in for service yet but it is noticeable. It doesnt do it everytime but It doent sound like a good thing.

voyagerx 06-12-2011 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fljeepleo (Post 429084)
I have the same thing, when I hit the brakes there is a dull thud I can feel in the steering wheel. I havent had my JGC in for service yet but it is noticeable. It doesnt do it everytime but It doent sound like a good thing.

I have the exact same thing. Almost as if something is loose.

Benzie002 06-12-2011 08:03 AM

Mine is not severe enough to take it in yet. I will wait until my first oil change but will post up what they find. Please let me know if you happen to take yours to the dealer.

Thanks

fljeepleo 06-12-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzie002 (Post 429323)
Mine is not severe enough to take it in yet. I will wait until my first oil change but will post up what they find. Please let me know if you happen to take yours to the dealer.

Thanks

Im not gonna make a special trip for it but I will mention it when I go in for my first oil change. Im glad it isn't just my vehicle, I wonder if this needs to be posted on the main forum to see if there is anyone else with the problem who has had it remedied.

jp467 06-15-2011 10:38 PM

I think I have something like this, but it is not a noise you can hear. I just feel it in the steering wheel at low speed. It seems like usually with the brakes on going over small bumps usually. I don't hear anything I just feel this faint thud in the steering wheel sometimes. I'm going under 10 mph when I feel this.

andyh 06-15-2011 10:51 PM

Same here since day 1.

Benzie002 06-16-2011 06:52 AM

I have that symptom as well.

frydryce 06-18-2011 03:36 PM

same here

fljeepleo 06-19-2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp467 (Post 431762)
I think I have something like this, but it is not a noise you can hear. I just feel it in the steering wheel at low speed. It seems like usually with the brakes on going over small bumps usually. I don't hear anything I just feel this faint thud in the steering wheel sometimes. I'm going under 10 mph when I feel this.

Yep thats it.

SixZeroFour 06-21-2011 10:57 AM

I remember seeing a thread about this awhile back but I cannot seem to find it. Apparently the noise is related to some sort of brake booster pump that activates to provide additional stopping power. IIRC it was believed only to affect the 3.6L without the HD brakes but I see there is a Hemi owner or two in here as well.

Benzie002 06-21-2011 04:56 PM

So I decided to take a look and removed the passenger side wheel. I figured something was loose so I started tightening everything I could. I found a black cross beam that runs diagonal from the chassis. It is directly behind the wheel and kinda looks like a V. They are on both sides of the car. The bolts took a few turns and I have not heard the popping sound since and it's been about a week.