Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   5.7 Hemi Oil Drain Plug and Filter Access (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/5-7-hemi-oil-drain-plug-and-filter-access-24250.html)

Hollywood 06-10-2011 06:00 AM

5.7 Hemi Oil Drain Plug and Filter Access

Being as anal as I am, wanted to check for any possible overnight leaks/drips this morning after getting my oil changed yesterday.

Pleased to say everything looked clean.

Question: It's really neat that Jeep gives you access to the drain plug and filter through that rectangular cutout in the plastic shield under the motor. It looks like however, there should be a small removable panel that covers that area up after service.

Anyone have this??

RAO-3 06-10-2011 07:13 AM

Re: 5.7 Hemi Oil Drain Plug and Filter Access

I noticed that too, but upon closer examination there is no 'hinge' or 'fastener' cutout for the cover. Looks like it was considered but never made it to production.

Hollywood 06-10-2011 10:00 AM

Yeah, looks like a dimple here and there where they perhaps thought about putting screws or fasteners for a door.

HammFist 06-10-2011 03:56 PM

Agree. I was pleased when I looked underneath to find the drain plug and filter, they were both "displayed" through the cutout in the shield. With a couple of vehicles I've had over the years I had to do a thorough Internet search to even find the filter -- and changing one of them required another Internet search to figure out how to actually touch the filter so you could change it (answer, remove the air intake and grope behind the engine right up next to the firewall without actually being able to see anything). I have always been puzzled that so many car manufacturers seem to go out of there way to make it difficult to perform the most frequent service on any engine -- changing the oil and filter.

WK2 Rover 07-23-2011 08:21 PM

I just noticed it too while checking out the underside. I was going to ask the dealer if they forgot to re-install the panel after the oil change, but noticed there does not seem to be a way to secure a hatch. And so I came here to find my answer!

freewheel 05-19-2012 09:25 PM

Dealer told me cover has ever been produced.

Chris Mallett 06-09-2012 05:29 AM

I also called my dealer griping that they forgot the panel. Anything aftermarket for this yet?

Alaska-HWY JK 06-09-2012 12:33 PM

What does this thread or any of the replys have to do with performance?
Lame thread!