Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   pulling a wheel off with QL (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/pulling-a-wheel-off-with-ql-24271.html)

jp467 06-10-2011 04:55 PM

pulling a wheel off with QL

Does anyone know if you can lift one wheel off the ground at a time with QL or does it have to be disabled to do this? Just wondering in case I ever need to change a tire.

JayB 06-10-2011 04:58 PM

Re: pulling a wheel off with QL

Manual says to disable. Press both up and down buttons simultaneously for ~5-10 seconds while ignition is on. Message will appear on evic saying air suspension disabled.
System will automatically reactivate once you start driving.

ternst 06-10-2011 06:03 PM

I had no issues changing a tire on mine and did not disable the system - everything worked just like any other car.

Red G8R 06-10-2011 07:00 PM

It's very simple to disable the QL system as JayB described. I did it twice so far when changing to and from my winter wheels.

mjw930 06-11-2011 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ternst (Post 428757)
I had no issues changing a tire on mine and did not disable the system - everything worked just like any other car.

Then you got lucky.

You should ALWAYS disable the auto leveling whenever you raise the vehicle, either on a lift or one wheel at a time on a jack. It's especially important when doing one wheel at a time.

The problem is, as you jack that one corner up not only does that one try to lower itself but the other side that's going down from the weight will try to raise itself. The results can be disastrous if the raising of the other side pushes the vehicle off the jack.

Now, if the vehicle has been shut off for a while (more than 1/2 hour) and you leave the doors open (prevents it from trying to lower any corner) then you might get lucky but why chance it?

ternst 06-11-2011 06:17 PM

Like I said there were no issues at all when I jacked it up and pulled the wheel off. In fact the tire store guy had no issues either a couple of days ago when he put it up on a rack to put on new tires - didn't disable the QL. Perhaps the warning is just an urban legend, or lawyers talking?

mjw930 06-11-2011 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ternst (Post 429180)
Like I said there were no issues at all when I jacked it up and pulled the wheel off. In fact the tire store guy had no issues either a couple of days ago when he put it up on a rack to put on new tires - didn't disable the QL. Perhaps the warning is just an urban legend, or lawyers talking?

It's not an urban legend, it's printed clear as day in the owners guide and and owners manual. Ignore it at your own risk.

Having owned 3 vehicles with this type of suspension I've found it's true that using a lift or jacking one corner is rarely a problem when the vehicle is turned off, the key is removed and a door is open but everyone knows that on many occasions people start up vehicles while they are on a lift or jack and THAT'S when you will be in for the surprise of your life. It takes 15 seconds to lock the suspension, why wouldn't you take that time to be as safe as you can?????

TRUST ME, I saw a $100,000 Cayenne fall of a floor jack and cause about $2500 worth of damage back when they first came out because someone had it on 2 floor jacks and for reasons beyond me they started it up.

ternst 06-11-2011 09:30 PM

Why would you ever start your car when you have it jacked up? That seems like you are asking for trouble in many ways - what a dumb thing to do - but I guess there are lots of stupid people driving cars. There is no problem changing a tire on the Jeep if you have QL and don't disable it, and I don't really care to trust you, ha, ha....

ENFORCER 06-11-2011 10:50 PM

Well do it at your own risk, I know I will go through the 10sec procedure to avoid any problems. There are MANY reasons to start a car on a hoist or on jackstands. I now know that the QL can cause problems, I do not see why you would tempt fate

JohnS 06-12-2011 07:31 AM

I disabled the QL when I changed my winter tires back to summer. A very simple procedure (as described in the manual). The QL activated quickly again when I drove the Jeep.:cool:

mjw930 06-12-2011 09:06 AM

Wow, some people are just stubborn beyond reason......

Do you really think Jeep took the time to engineer the lockout and put the warning in the manual if there wasn't a danger of something happening that could cause damage to you or the vehicle?

The question was asked whether it was necessary to disable the system. Aside from the manual stating it is, someone with over a 8 years of experience with this exact same type of suspension (Continental 4 corner air suspension) shares their experience and the reasoning behind the warning and you still insist on being stubborn.

Fine, you don't have to trust me, do whatever you want, it's your vehicle and your life.

Frank TJ 06-12-2011 11:02 AM

I was wondering this myself. What I have come up with is this. The owners manual states to disable the QL when changing tires, etc. It also gives specific jacking points that are on the unibody, not any part of the axle/suspension.

What I see is that if you start jacking one corner up without disabling QL it will try to level the Jeep. I can't see how this in itself could cause the Jeep to fall off a jack because the jack is now acting like the missing tire. I personally think it has more to do with the QL getting out of whack and possibly one corner extending to ORII and the rest at normal???

I recently had the tires rotated at the local discount tire. The whole jeep was lifted and all 4 tires were off the ground. We disabled QL and I watched has the Jeep was lifted. The suspension extended to full extension just like any other conventional suspension. If we had not disabled the QL I'm thinking the airbags would continually be pressurized as the jeep was being lifted. This would result in the airbags being at a different setting than the computer thinks they are. Possibly over extension???

Not really sure on this topic. More research needed.