Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   current bmw owner, new to jeep - questions (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/current-bmw-owner-new-to-jeep-questions-24342.html)

aquaanox 06-12-2011 08:56 PM

current bmw owner, new to jeep - questions

guys, will be trading in my 09 bimmer 335i for a grand cherokee 4x4 limited with lux and 20 inch rims. just had a baby recently and new bigger vehicle, not crazy about the x5 bmw.

So im very close to closing on a deal. there are two options, one without the adaptive cruise control and advance warning and one with. Ive read a few posts where people were having issues with these features. So i need to decide whether to get them or not. I really only have a day or two to decide either way. Other than that both jeeps im looking at have the same options. Im usually not interested in bells and whistles that need constant service - ive always driven stripped down bimmers without most of the tech options. But im thinkin this safety stuff could be useful. thoughts please ?

I also never drive in cruise control, so i assume this can be turned off permanently.

Also, im used to modding my cars. Whatz the most popular exterior and interior mods for cherokees ?

carlosmp 06-13-2011 12:50 AM

Re: current bmw owner, new to jeep - questions

ACC will not only be the cruise control. It has the colission warning and the Blind spot monitoring as well.
The cruise will only be active if you set it, and even then you can turn off the ACC and use plain old cruise control

I can tell you from experience that I'm very very happy with the system.
I got it mostly for the blind spot monitoring since I very rarely use the cruise, but all it took was one time for the driver in front of me to slam on the brakes ... Jeep saw him before I did, alerted me and I stopped with plenty of room to spare.
One your heart returns to the right place, you realize it's a great thing to have.

Note though, the system only works in certain conditions where collision is possible, won't alert you while parking or if you are already applying the brakes a litle.

I would definitely say get it. Specially with kids to take care of. But i'm sure there will be someone who has had a different experience that will say don't get it. Just my opinion.
Hope it helps.

As for mods, the only one I did was take off the dealer's logo, but there are plenty of threads here with some great ones

Mashie 06-13-2011 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquaanox (Post 429700)
guys, will be trading in my 09 bimmer 335i for a grand cherokee 4x4 limited with lux and 20 inch rims. just had a baby recently and new bigger vehicle, not crazy about the x5 bmw.

So im very close to closing on a deal. there are two options, one without the adaptive cruise control and advance warning and one with. Ive read a few posts where people were having issues with these features. So i need to decide whether to get them or not. I really only have a day or two to decide either way. Other than that both jeeps im looking at have the same options. Im usually not interested in bells and whistles that need constant service - ive always driven stripped down bimmers without most of the tech options. But im thinkin this safety stuff could be useful. thoughts please ?

I also never drive in cruise control, so i assume this can be turned off permanently.

Also, im used to modding my cars. Whatz the most popular exterior and interior mods for cherokees ?

You want the AAC package. Blind Spot Monitoring and the warning systems are more then worth the cost of the package even if you dont use cruise control that often. IMO the AAC/BSM package is one of the best options on the WK2.

webspoke 06-13-2011 10:02 AM

There are getting to be more on and offroad wheel choices for these now, check out the wheel and tire/suspension section for ideas. Mopar/Jeep have some decent interior protection (mats), exterior items (steps, splash gaurds, racks/carriers/baskets) for both street and off road. So you will have a decent selection to choose from. Check out justforjeeps for some ideas.

I would get the ACC option, wish I had it on mine.

WK2 Rover 06-13-2011 10:17 AM

I placed the order for these advanced electronics 'cause I like gadgets. But they are very useful safety features, something you care about more than I did. Mine was one of the first vehicles built with these options, and no issues after six months.

ColdCase 06-13-2011 11:04 AM

I don't recall seeing issues with ACC or advanced warning other than perhaps the thresholds being set more conservatively than someone would like. It has turned out to be one of my favorite features. It is nice to have some warning of approaching vehicles when backing out of a mall parking spot.

SHopkinson 06-13-2011 07:00 PM

Get the ACC package. You will not be sorry. I never use cruise but love the blind spot monitoring and the cross path detection. If it saves you just once for the life of the vehicle, it's paid for itself. I have a 9 month old and the safety features were a driving factor in my decision to purchase...

jcnaranjo 06-13-2011 07:37 PM

I am also a BMW transplant. Welcome! I had an overland on order with the mindset that i would no use any of the extras on the Summit. I came across a Summit with 8 miles on it with all of the bells and whistles and got a great deal on it. I must say that I am so glad I chose the Summit. I can honestly say that I don't know how i drove without all of the technology. I will not own another vehicle without the FCW, blind spot monitoring, and cross path detection. 4000 miles, and I am still very happy with my purchase. I was going to buy an X5 with all of the bells and whistles, but I didn't have 75k laying around. Also, the x5 does not have the ruggedness of the GC.

My mods so far:

Mopar "Jeep" lighted door sill guards, AWESOME!

Putco LED Daytime Running Lights. Very Cool

Mopar Shifter

Mopar Pedal Kit

To Come:

Rock Rails or Fitted Running boards( as soon as someone makes some like on the x5)

Mopar Cold Air Intake

Jgauthier 06-13-2011 08:20 PM

i only had my overland with tech package for 2 weeks and am in love with the acc. This thing is so convenient!

i really recommend it. In terms of hickups, i only had 3 false alarms on the colision detection system which displays the "brake!!!" signal for nothing (no car in front on me). Nothing major...

SPAX1823 06-14-2011 01:56 PM

As so many others I can only say that my GC Overland with ACC and Advanced Warning system is now 6 months and I have 12000 miles on it. I did not have any issues with the systems at all, as a matter of fact like most people here I love the systems and they are really useful. On longer trips and my everyday 40miles x 2 commute the ACC works great and the advanced warnings has helped me in more than one critical situation already. Well worth the money and anew level of safety in cars.
Hope that helps.

chuckbernard 06-14-2011 08:15 PM

I've had no problems with mine at all. In my opinion the ACC is the best feature I've ever had on a vehicle!

aquaanox 06-14-2011 10:57 PM

I got the package. Started a new thread!

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/goodbye-bmw-welcome-jeep-good-deal-24460.html