Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Procedure when towing? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/procedure-when-towing-24389.html)

rein 06-13-2011 09:08 PM

Procedure when towing?
 
Hi Guys,

I'm new to towing and I hooked up a pop up tent last weekend and tried to follow the steps in the manual when hooking up a trailer.

I have a v6 Overland - As per the owners manual, once I get a solid light on the neutral light, I should turn off the engine. But at this point, the owners manual has me shifted into neutral and the engine will not shut off unless I'm am shifted to Park?

I ended up hooking up the trailer with the engine on and the neutral light engaged. But I had exhaust fumes in my face while hooking up the trailer.

Can you guys provide some insight on the steps to take when attaching a trailer?

mjw930 06-14-2011 07:05 AM

Re: Procedure when towing?
 
You are confusing Towing something WITH your vehicle with towing YOUR vehicle with another truck!

The procedure you are following is used to disengage the transfer case so another vehicle can tow your Jeep. For example, when you see large motorhomes going down the highway with a car/truck hooked up behind them.

What you are doing is towing something else, there's nothing you need to do to the transfer case or the neutral button below the terrain selector.

The section of the manual that pertains to what you are doing is pages 436 - 450. Ignore the section on "Recreational Towing", pages 451 - 458.

moosehead 06-14-2011 07:25 AM

Re: Procedure when towing?
 
^OP, as mjw indicates, to tow something with your Jeep, back the vehicle into position, turn it off, attach your hitch properly with clamp/safety chains, and plug either the 4 pin or 7 pin electrical plug into the bumper receptacle. You may also have a safety brake actuator cable that clips onto your hitch as well. Once you start up the vehicle, engage the tow button on the center console.

Pretty easy, just take care to get a proper hitch engagement and clamp. Also good idea to check proper function of brake and turn signal lights.

rein 06-14-2011 02:03 PM

Re: Procedure when towing?
 
thanks mjw/moosehed...I appreciate the help. That makes much more sense.

I don't have a tow button on the center console. I think this may only be on the V8's (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm new to this forum and I've been reading post every night for the last two weeks - since I've picked up my JGC. This forum is really helpful for rookies like myself.

Thanks again...I will post some pics this week.

scittb 06-14-2011 02:10 PM

Re: Procedure when towing?
 
The tow button is an added feature, you dont need it to tow. Just helps. It may be a V8 thing I havent looked as I do have the v8 to begin with.

moosehead 06-14-2011 05:01 PM

Re: Procedure when towing?
 
welcome to the board, rein, good to have you.

my bad, didn't see your v6, the tow button is on the v8 and largely disables the 4 cylinder and overdrive modes among some other unknown joujou.

i'm normally laid back, but tend to amp up the care level to a high degree when towing anything for safety reasons. it's always good to square away your trailer to hitch connection, last thing you want is a disengagement on the highway.

take it slow at first, double check all your connections, check your tire and axle conditions, etc. also good idea to get used to the rig and trailer even if if it's a lighter load before upping the speed or going long-haul.

also check out etrailer for both parts and a great self-help and FAQ section. http://www.etrailer.com/

fljeepleo 06-14-2011 05:04 PM

Re: Procedure when towing?
 
[QUOTE=scittb;430697]The tow button is an added feature, you dont need it to tow. Just helps. It may be a V8 thing I havent looked as I do have the v8 to begin with.[/QUOTE

I have a V6 with the factory tow package and I have no tow switch.. must be for the HEMI.

Andrew Klossner 06-14-2011 05:13 PM

Re: Procedure when towing?
 
From the owner's manual:

"On vehicles equipped with the 5.7L engine, use of ERS (or TOW/HAUL mode) also enables an additional underdrive gear which is not normally used during throughgear accelerations. This additional gear improves vehicle performance and cooling capability when towing a trailer on certain grades. ERS 1, 2, and 3 are underdrive gears; ERS 4 is direct drive. ERS 5 (Overdrive) is the same as the normal 4th gear."

wildturkey47 06-14-2011 08:39 PM

Re: Procedure when towing?
 
I have the V6 with factory tow pack----
no tow mode button or OD on/off button either

RageOfFury 06-14-2011 08:55 PM

Re: Procedure when towing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildturkey47 (Post 430962)
I have the V6 with factory tow pack----
no tow mode button or OD on/off button either

The V6 doesn't have a tow button nor OD on/off due to the Mercedes transmission.

hammer1234 06-15-2011 06:37 AM

Re: Procedure when towing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RageOfFury (Post 430976)
The V6 doesn't have a tow button nor OD on/off due to the Mercedes transmission.

In this case can't we just use the manual shift to prevent shifting into overdrive? Not as convenient but is still doable...

rein 06-15-2011 09:58 AM

Re: Procedure when towing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 430785)
welcome to the board, rein, good to have you.

my bad, didn't see your v6, the tow button is on the v8 and largely disables the 4 cylinder and overdrive modes among some other unknown joujou.

i'm normally laid back, but tend to amp up the care level to a high degree when towing anything for safety reasons. it's always good to square away your trailer to hitch connection, last thing you want is a disengagement on the highway.

take it slow at first, double check all your connections, check your tire and axle conditions, etc. also good idea to get used to the rig and trailer even if if it's a lighter load before upping the speed or going long-haul.

also check out etrailer for both parts and a great self-help and FAQ section. http://www.etrailer.com/

Thanks moosehead.

That website you provided is great! I might even order a few things.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community