Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   New Member with Keyless Enter-N-Go question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/new-member-with-keyless-enter-n-go-question-24395.html)

munk2020 06-14-2011 07:49 AM

New Member with Keyless Enter-N-Go question

To start I just purchased my wk2 last week and absolutely love it. For once I am actually looking forward to winter in Chicago.

The Keyless Enter-N-Go has been one of the most convenient features...so convenient I am now looking for the same thing for my house. Does anyone know if such a thing exists? If so any suggestions on brand? Google has returned several keyless entry locks, but they still require a button be pressed which means I cant leave my keys in my pocket :(

cheapjeep 06-14-2011 10:03 AM

Re: New Member with Keyless Enter-N-Go question

Welcome to JG! I know of key fob house locks but nothing like the enter n go system.

MasterWK 06-14-2011 11:20 AM

Welcome! Glad you're enjoying your new Jeep!

MJRLaw 06-14-2011 09:09 PM

Funny - I feel the same way. I don't touch my car keys, my office uses "fobs" you just hold up to the doors, my house seems like an antique with that old fashioned key.

Schlage has web-enabled door locks and I know there are a number of other locks that you can connect to your home wifi network and control from your iphone/smartphone. But I don't know of anything consumer oriented that permites "passive" entry like the jeep.

Welcome to the forum!

wsu108 06-14-2011 10:32 PM

The finger print door look may be the closest to your request. The RFID door look will still need to take the access card out of your pocket.

Keypad door lock can do the trick too, without needing taking anything out of the pocket.

LSIII 06-15-2011 12:29 AM

Kwikset use to make a deadbolt called Smart Scan that allowed you to store your finger print and then unlock the door with a swipe of your finger. But alas they have discontinued it due to reliability issues. The next best thing is their dead bolts that allow you to type in a code to unlock.

netcoolery 06-15-2011 01:19 PM

My new JGC is my first experience with Keyless Enter and Go. I love it and I now appreciate the extra thought that Jeep put into it, specifically the little "lock" button on the door handle.

I travel quite a bit in my job. My company gets a good deal from Hertz, so I drive whatever Hertz gives me that week. This week, I was surprised to get a Prius - which has keyless entry and go.

It's amazing how much I miss the little "lock" button. With my Jeep, I've grown accustomed to never having to fish the fob out of my pockets. With the Prius, if I don't want to fish out the fob,
I either have to get out of the car, open the back door (to grab my laptop bag) and close it, then go back to the opened front door and find the "lock" button - then close it.

Certainly not a big deal, but a bit more hassle than the exterior button. Kudos to Jeep for getting that "little thing" right.

Baxterdown 06-15-2011 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsu108 (Post 431054)
The finger print door look may be the closest to your request.

I bought one of these and returned it after a few days. Finger print door locks are not ready for prime time. It takes 4 and 5 and 6 attempts before the door reads your fingerprint. Not worth it.

stephsman21 06-15-2011 04:35 PM

welcome, and Schlage is the closest thing to enter-n-go!!! http://link.schlage.com/Pages/home.aspx

Andrew Klossner 06-15-2011 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netcoolery (Post 431394)
This week, I was surprised to get a Prius - which has keyless entry and go. It's amazing how much I miss the little "lock" button.

My wife's Prius has the little "lock" button on the front door handle. :confused:

netcoolery 06-15-2011 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Klossner (Post 431620)
My wife's Prius has the little "lock" button on the front door handle. :confused:

That's interesting ... must come with certain packages. This Hertz car is probably pretty basic option-wise.

The Prius has been interesting to drive ... but I'll sure enjoy my WK2 when I fly back and drive it home from the airport!

wsu108 06-15-2011 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baxterdown (Post 431540)
I bought one of these and returned it after a few days. Finger print door locks are not ready for prime time. It takes 4 and 5 and 6 attempts before the door reads your fingerprint. Not worth it.

Thanks. I am shopping around to find a finger print lock, but worry about it can't read the finger print properly. May be a combination of finger print and number pad lock may help, or just the number pad lock.