Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Experience with Front and Rear Differential Fluid Brands (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/experience-with-front-and-rear-differential-fluid-brands-24469.html)

IUJeep 06-15-2011 11:31 AM

Experience with Front and Rear Differential Fluid Brands

Hello,

I'm looking to change the front and rear differential fluid on my 2005 Grand Cherokee (5.7L,4WD, ELSD).

What brands do you recommend? I'm looking for a premium fluid with a smooth ride with minimal whining (at least as much as a jeep can be).

Does anyone have any experience with Valvoline's Synthetic 75W-140?

Also please let me know if the friction modifier is built into any fluids that you highly recommend.

Thanks,
Eric

LTrainGC 06-15-2011 11:39 AM

Re: Experience with Front and Rear Differential Fluid Brands

I always used Mobil 1 75W-140 with no problems. I would hope that any fluid you use would equate to a smooth ride and no whining from the diffs... if you are experiencing that even after a fresh fluid change I'd suspect there are problems beyond just the fluid. Also, you have to get the friction modifier from the dealer (1 bottle per axle) even if the fluid says it has it in there.

jes_96 06-15-2011 02:07 PM

I've always used Redline in all my differentials over the years. The gear oil comes in both limited slip additive and non-limited slip additive varieties. The non will have an 'NS' on the label. Summit Racing usually has the best price when the shipping is factored in (sixty something a gallon, if I remember correctly). My '06 5.7 LTD WK was binding and whining like mad when I bought it last year with 39,000 miles on it. Drained the diffs, put fresh Redline 75W140 in, and its smooth as glass now, with no whining at all; though as mentioned above, as it should, right after a change. I've put 6,000 miles on the GP since, still smooth and whine free. As a testament, I had an '02 Dakota QuadCab AWD with the limited slip rear that I sold just last year; changed the diff oil every 45,000 miles and, when I sold it, there were 145,000 miles on the clock with no whine, and the limited slip worked perfectly, like the day I bought it.

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-15-2011 04:34 PM

mobil 1

Walt 06-15-2011 05:45 PM

Mobil 1 75W-140 Synthetic Gear Oil. Your ELSD requires a small bottle of MOPAR friction modifier in each axle (think they are 4-oz. each).

ChrisWk 06-15-2011 10:53 PM

I put mobil 1 in my diffs month ago, You do need to get the mopar friction mod stuff, I did not put some in the front and it made noise put some in all fine. My front diff looked pretty clean with 30 k on it but my back one was very dark, I got thread on changing the diffs