Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Someone tried to steal my GC Saturday night... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/someone-tried-to-steal-my-gc-saturday-night-24504.html)

NetJunkie 06-15-2011 09:47 PM

Someone tried to steal my GC Saturday night...

Well...Sunday morning. So I woke up at 3am Sunday morning to the sound of a car alarm. Took me a minute to realize it was mine...by the time I got outside no one was there. Here is the thing. When I went to open the door the GC chirped at me. Opened the door..got in and saw that Remote Start was Disabled. I think they remote started the GC and attempted to drive it off without a key. I have remote started mine while in the driver's seat and if you do anything (I hit the brake) it turns off and triggers the alarm.

Anyone else heard about a new GC being stolen without a key? I know many of these keys can be cloned but I haven't heard of them going after something like a GC, usually more expensive cars.

dubwarren 06-15-2011 09:56 PM

Remote start is disabled automatically. after the alarm goes off.

NetJunkie 06-15-2011 09:57 PM

Re: Someone tried to steal my GC Saturday night...

Ah..didn't know that. So maybe they just popped the lock and set it off. Well...good. Less to worry about.

dubwarren 06-15-2011 09:58 PM

Was the jeep unlocked when you got to it? Thank god for alarms huh?

tko365 06-15-2011 09:58 PM

Hmmm...I saw the 'remote start was disabled' one time leaving a grocery store. Does this mean the GC recognized a remote start command at some point?

dubwarren 06-15-2011 10:01 PM

In my experience, the only times remote start would be disabled is if the check engine light is on or the vehicle alarm was activated. If you start the jeep and then turn it off after the alarm has sounded you will be able to remote start again.

dubwarren 06-15-2011 10:04 PM

Is there an actual warning light that says "remote start disabled" ? If so I need to pay more attention!

berk483 06-16-2011 08:00 AM

Someone might not have been trying to steal it, there have been a few threads on alarms going off in garages with no one around. Might have just been a gremlin.

JF_Inferno 06-16-2011 08:47 AM

Intersting ... However if someone is going to go through the effort to steal my car, I just assume the 'get er' done' and never let me see the car again. Frankly, the idea of driving my car again after it had been stolen and god knows what else done to it, I'd prefer accept the lose and head to the dealer for a new toy.

Red G8R 06-16-2011 09:06 AM

Maybe it's the alarm gremlin. Few of us had the alarm goimg off for no reason.

CPT2010 06-16-2011 09:50 AM

If i was you, tonight i would be in all swat gear posted up in the bushes watching the wk2 with my night vision goggles. Sniping anything that turns up thermal walking around my jeep. A few stun grenades to paralyze the suspect in his tracks, then smoke grenade to offer me a decoy while i flank them from the side. but... thats just me...
ive seen alarms go off from people with the train horns or very loud sound systems.

most likely a little gremlin, unless you live in a higher theft area.

serious note- you can get a 3 camera dvr security system for cheap.

Technosavant 06-16-2011 10:10 AM

Some details seem to not be present.

Had you locked the vehicle (if the alarm was on, I'm guessing so)? Was there any sign of forced entry at all? Was anything missing?

With modern vehicles, key cloning isn't all that simple. With modern ignition codes, it's REALLY hard to steal your vehicle if you don't leave a key inside (if I hear of a vehicle with a coded key getting stolen, invariably the owner had left a key in it). If there was no sign of forced entry (broken window), then I would wonder if anybody unauthorized had actually gotten inside; I'd expect more that the alarm just went off for some reason.