Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Rear Noise (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/rear-noise-24517.html)

BackwoodsBarbieJeep 06-16-2011 10:49 AM

Rear Noise

Hey ya'll I'm new to this website and I think someone might be able to help.
I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4
It has a 6.5" Iron Rock Lift and 33's Pro Comp Extreme All Terrains

There is a weird noise that we can not figure out. We originally thought it was the ball mount moving in the reciever box. NOPE
Then we thought it could possible be the spare tire.. NOPE
But it a rear noise and it feels like when you sit in the back seat you can feel it under you.
Any ideas of what we could check next?!

cheapjeep 06-16-2011 11:09 AM

Re: Rear Noise

I'd check shock mounts,upper tri link ball joint and lower control arm bushings. Pull the back wheels and move the rear around and see if you have any play in these areas. Also check the sway bar end links.

BackwoodsBarbieJeep 06-16-2011 01:05 PM

We have checked all these things. We thought it was the tri link ball joint. Because there is like a small bushing on top of the mounting. But it was in perfect condition. Do you know where I can get a parts diagram of the whole underneith?! where it shows every joint etc. Cause I did buy it used before we put the lift on it. So maybe it's possible there is a bushing missing somewhere. ?!

BackwoodsBarbieJeep 06-16-2011 01:06 PM

It's mainly going over bumps it's almost like a klunk

StephenE 06-16-2011 01:28 PM

Gas tank skid plate/sway bar interference?
http://www.wjjeeps.com/swaybars.htm#SKID

206WJ 06-17-2011 02:16 AM

When you put the lift on did you re-use the shock bolts and bushings?? I know you said you checked them, but that's what was making mine.

I have also heard of someone that had their rear upper sway bar link bracket have a cracked weld where it attaches to the body. That caused his noise.

BackwoodsBarbieJeep 06-17-2011 08:50 AM

I will def. be checking all of these things this weekend. Thank you all so much! Hope it one of these things :-)

JeepMe 06-17-2011 09:09 PM

Mine makes the same clunk in the rear. I haven't checked all the suspension components, but I did check the rear upper control arm and bushings. All were good and solid. But I did notice that when I close the driver's door, it will also make that noise. Waiting for a good weekend to really get under and check everything.

It almost seems like it's coming from the middle/back of the Jeep

BackwoodsBarbieJeep 06-20-2011 07:28 AM

My noise is making me lead to possibly the coil spring bushing. We never did replace those when we had it all apart. And the noise makes it sound like it is in the specific location. Does anyone know if there is a place online where you can pull up a breakdown on the coils / suspension?! and I wonder if Iron rock might has a stonger type of bushing?!

TJXJWJ 06-20-2011 12:03 PM

You're talking about that rubber spring isolator, right? If that's what you're after, that would probably only make a thunk when the suspension is at full flex. Enough to make the spring loose in the perch. Unless of course it's really worn all the way through and you have metal to metal.
Mine clunked too. Multiple times. The first clunk was the rear swaybar. There was too much space between it an the end links, so I had to add a washer on either side. No more clunk.
Then I replaced the shocks with Bilstiens. Clunk came back. I bought new bolts with a better shoulder on them and torqued the hell out of them, problem solved. Then another clunk showed up. Turned out to be the upper ball joint on the tri-link. Replaced that and I'm "thunk-free".

If there's a way to "thunk" I think I've had them all :)