Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Visual Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/)
-   -   Stock mirror break down (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/stock-mirror-break-down-24537.html)

NHWK05 06-16-2011 06:25 PM

Stock mirror break down

The body shop that did my 08 front end said that the stock wk mirrors come apart. The factory cover comes off for paint like the stock painted mirrors. Has anyone ever done this. there are tabs by the hinge but when i press on them they feel like they will break or the whole cover piece will break off.

SRTILL8 06-17-2011 12:05 PM

Re: Stock mirror break down

yo when the meatheads at my garage broke off my passenger side last year. (garage paid for the new one right away) i literally saw the dealership just pop my old housing out and unplug the wiring and put the new one in less than 5 minutes.

i was surprised it was that fast...

Scottina06 06-17-2011 01:16 PM

I tried....not very hard to take one apart.....I didnt get it apart.

soontobesrt 06-17-2011 02:04 PM

Hamze did it in his conversion thread, has pics and all :) And yes its pretty easy, they simply pry apart but be CAREFUL! If you're having em painted, just take the whole mirror off and have it painted, looks wayy better that way if you ask me but to each their own

robpp 06-17-2011 04:27 PM

i WOULD disagree Ant.

paint the WHOLE thing and anytime the mirror housing is moved collect all the chips. since there is friction built into the 2 parts every swing will remove paint.

plus think about every mark you fiond on your mirrors from others in parking lots and such.

if you had painted covers.......

then you dont have to worry the movement causing issues/

and if the cover ever gets a scrape or a bad injury it can easily be removed and repainted or replaced.

Scottina06 06-17-2011 05:45 PM

I suggest a set of 08-10 painted mirrors.....they are pretty cheap on ebay and car-part.com and you can add heated and auto dim to your Jeep.

NHWK05 06-17-2011 05:57 PM

Thanks everyone. I think I will try to take mine apart. I am painting them myself. I. Already have power memory heated auto dim mirror though the pass side is not auto dim just the drivers side. I will see if I can get it apart and post up my results. My mirror "covers" are not in great condtion from removing the stick on covers I had so I need to prep them well.

soontobesrt 06-17-2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 432802)
i WOULD disagree Ant.

paint the WHOLE thing and anytime the mirror housing is moved collect all the chips. since there is friction built into the 2 parts every swing will remove paint.

plus think about every mark you fiond on your mirrors from others in parking lots and such.

if you had painted covers.......

then you dont have to worry the movement causing issues/

and if the cover ever gets a scrape or a bad injury it can easily be removed and repainted or replaced.

Yeah I hear you Rob. Way I had it done was with the mirrors closed so no paint in the seam and it doesn't do what you were describing. Although when folded you can see some black plastic but hey, thats the opportunity cost and Ill deal with it as my mirrors aren't folded 95% of the time anyway.

As far as damage goes thats another one of those things you just gotta deal with if you want that top notch look. I mean like you said covers may save you a few bucks IF it happens but at what cost, the overall look? So far Ive been good to go. I know what you mean though, I try and park far away and take extra care but some things you cant prevent. If something happens Ill probably just touch it up and/or buff it :( All good, just my .02

tydallas 06-17-2011 08:27 PM

^^ Post pics of your mirrors for us ehh?

NHWK05 06-19-2011 10:13 AM

Thanks everyone. I really just want the mirrors to look like the stock 08+ painted mirrors, thats why i dont want to do the whole mirror. I will play with them at some point and see what i come up with.