Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   keyless entry losing sensitivity .....? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/keyless-entry-losing-sensitivity-24545.html)

1200RT-P 06-16-2011 09:02 PM

keyless entry losing sensitivity .....?

so ...... my driver's side door handle seems to have lost sensitivity to unlock the doors without the key fob.

normally, a light touch is all that is needed. Now, a full grip on the handle, and a few seconds go by before an unlock.

Passenger door seems to work as normal.

Thoughts?

mjw930 06-16-2011 09:25 PM

Re: keyless entry losing sensitivity .....?

Dirt or oil buildup in the inside of the handle with the sensor strips. Try cleaning the inside of the handle with some dawn or windex.

It may not do anything but it's worth a try.

1200RT-P 06-16-2011 10:02 PM

i'll give it a shot. maybe i have dirty hands? :lol:

1200RT-P 06-17-2011 09:45 AM

eh, no luck really.

Are these sensors pressure sensitive? Or conductive?

mjw930 06-17-2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1200RT-P (Post 432562)
eh, no luck really.

Are these sensors pressure sensitive? Or conductive?

Conductive, I believe. It's certainly not pressure sensitive

See this thread where I could get mine to trigger with water while I washed it. http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/stupid-little-thing-i-noticed-washing-the-wk2-21923.html

GTOGreg 06-17-2011 05:01 PM

They get charged by using them the way a key would normally work. You pop the push button start out and run the key int he ignition for 2-3 days and it charges the remote. At least it works for me like that. Use something soft to pop the button out, you don't want to mar the bezel.

Nevermind...read that it is handle related. Still might be your fob's transponder power level? Otherwise, dunno, maybe try the other's suggestions....

1200RT-P 06-17-2011 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOGreg (Post 432813)
Nevermind...read that it is handle related. Still might be your fob's transponder power level? Otherwise, dunno, maybe try the other's suggestions....

i don't think its this. lock button works great, as does the pass handle. thanks for the thoughts tho!

Andrew Klossner 06-18-2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjw930 (Post 432567)
Conductive, I believe. It's certainly not pressure sensitive.

Yes, it's a capacitive sensor, as described in the Wikipedia article. If you get gunk up there, it won't work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOGreg (Post 432813)
They get charged by using them the way a key would normally work. You pop the push button start out and run the key in the ignition for 2-3 days and it charges the remote.

That's not right. The PKE function of the key fob uses an RFID chip; it's powered by the transmission field. The buttons use an internal battery which we'll need to replace in a few years.

GTOGreg 06-18-2011 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Klossner (Post 433302)
Yes, it's a capacitive sensor, as described in the Wikipedia article. If you get gunk up there, it won't work.

That's not right. The PKE function of the key fob uses an RFID chip; it's powered by the transmission field. The buttons use an internal battery which we'll need to replace in a few years.

Cool. Challenger is differnt then. It charges through the push button

What battery does it take A Klossner?

Andrew Klossner 06-18-2011 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOGreg (Post 433435)
What battery does it take?

CR2032.

odoylesfury 06-20-2011 01:32 AM

I have the same exact issue. What I did notice is if I act like I'm passing gas and raise my leg up that has the key to the handle it will lock the doors about 90% of the time. It does't always work. From what I have heard the system works off of a bluetooth type of system. I don't think it's a battery problem. All the other doors will work fine, but for some reason the driver side door doesn't recieve the signal. In the manual it says that the key has to be within I believe 4 feet of the vehicle to unlock and to start the vehicle. Since all other doors unlock and lock just fine the driverside does not. And by this I mean that the passenger front door will work and the back hatch will work just fine, but the driver front door only works about 80% of the time when you try to lock your car up. If you do the pass gas method it's about 90% of the time. I did notice that once summer came around that since I started to wear shorts it did get a little better. Mayber thinner clothing helped since I wasn't wearing denim?

yankees9 06-28-2011 08:33 PM

Same problem here. I'm to the point now that I have to pull the handle twice for it to unlock. Normally you just touch the back of the handle and it unlocks. Anyone else have this problem.