Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   What battery to buy... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/what-battery-to-buy-24567.html)

lewi3069 06-17-2011 11:45 AM

What battery to buy...

I'm pretty sure my battery is dead. Read about it here (also has a list of battery demands):
http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread...598#post432598

Now my options would be
Die Hard (I would like to get a platinum, but I think only the gold will fit the wk)
Super Start (Have one in the other jeep like it a lot)
Duralast (I hate going to Autozone, that's all I know)
Optima (would look at a yellow top)

ekaz 06-17-2011 11:51 AM

Re: What battery to buy...

I got a Duralast platinum (AGM) from Autozone and no issues so far with it at all.

Crashtown 06-17-2011 12:44 PM

Bought one in January...Sears is only a few blocks from my house.

lewi3069 06-17-2011 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crashtown (Post 432662)
Bought one in January...Sears is only a few blocks from my house.

Did you get the gold or platinum?

robpp 06-17-2011 01:38 PM

optima USED to be made in the USA; NOW they mmoved it all to Mexico and the quality has gone to CHIT/ buy the duralast/

lewi3069 06-17-2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 432696)
optima USED to be made in the USA; NOW they mmoved it all to Mexico and the quality has gone to CHIT/ buy the duralast/

hmm alright thanks for the info.

Crashtown 06-17-2011 01:46 PM

Gold... it was what they had in stock on a Thursday at 8:45 PM. With the outside temp being in the single digits and dealing with a tool dept. salesman cuz the automotive guys left already, I wasn't complaining much.

ekaz 06-17-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 432696)

x2

robpp 06-17-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewi3069 (Post 432701)
hmm alright thanks for the info.

no HMMMMM about it; its a fact. the original place they were made WAS right here in Aurora CO. gonzo......

so IMO i would shy away from Optima. now a gabillion peeps will be saying how they had an optima for x years never an issue, blah blah. prolly a US made one.

lewi3069 06-17-2011 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 432757)
no HMMMMM about it; its a fact. the original place they were made WAS right here in Aurora CO. gonzo......

so IMO i would shy away from Optima. now a gabillion peeps will be saying how they had an optima for x years never an issue, blah blah. prolly a US made one.

Oh I was just saying hmm because I found it interesting. I have seen enough of bad reviews today with my searching to steer me far enough away lol It bothers me when good us companies build a quality name and then move some where else to cheapen their production costs. I don't mind paying the extra 20 that they are saving. I went with a super start today. Here's why one I have the same one in my moms jeep been working great so far. Two my was going to try and get it a little cheaper for me. Three it had more CCA and RC than the Duralast.

JohnsonJeep05 06-20-2011 10:07 PM

Xs power d3100 best bAttery I've ever had

jwernatl 06-20-2011 11:15 PM

Sears or Optima (red top)- is the way to go. I'm partial to SEARS though. It's my favorite store. I bought a sears best and put it in my wifes 2001 Cherokee - She had that battery in there gosh untill she sold it. Years and years and years. She had over 260K miles on that 4.0. My daughter is 5yo I know I bought it at SEARS before she was born. Then she traded it for the '08 Grand Cherokee that she has now. So I cant speak for the demise - I lasted my wife driving. That's saying something.

But as far as the OPTIMA I put a RED TOP in my 68 firebird, That battery would sit for 3-4 months at a time It would start up every time. It never ever let me down. Never got drained. I would take it out and run the trolling motor on it a few times a year at a 'small pond fishing tournament'. It lasted from 7Am to 12:00pm pulling two of us around in a JON Boat then I would put it back in the '68 and it never failed. That's a battery. I dont know if it's still going or not I sold the 'bird a few months ago and bought a '93 COBRA that's got a crappy AutoZONE - Nothing looks cheaper in a car than a AutoZOne battery at a car show. But as far as the OPTIMA I dont know the demise either I sold it it was turning that 400 pretty good.