Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

De-roof racked and painted JK 18's

4K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Sir Sam 
#1 ·
Got bored after I got off work this morning, so I painted my 18" JK's and took off the roof rack. Looks waaay better IMO and got rid of the mom-mobile look. I still need to wetsand and buff the wheels as I got a little bit of fade in the clear, but they look pretty good as-is.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
nice

#6 ·
I need to install a resistor/resistor jumper, but otherwise, it's been great. I'm running into the 4000rpm shift point the '99 people have encountered, but I'll probably get rid of that with a tune or whatever. When it shifts at redline, I love it. When it doesn't, it's a bit of an annoyance, but I probably shouldn't be driving it like that much of a dick anyway.

#7 ·
Wheels look great, nice job.

I've mixed feelings over the roof rails after having them off for a year myself. Yes it does look cleaner, but the paint in the groove where the rubber trim sat looks pretty poor and the holes left do actually let in water (so seal them!).

I'm to fussy to keep it like that so they are going back on next month, got them painted gloss black tho. :)

In an ideal world, it would go into the body shop to get the groove filled and the holes filled to leave a smooth roof but that'd probably be silly money for something you don't notice much.

#8 ·
wheels looks great!

#9 ·
I need to seal those holes in a bad way. I threw tape over them for the time being, but found there was a crapton of water coming in after the rains this weekend in Denver.

Here's a few more pictures, they're kinda dirty in these because of the rain. Can't wait to clean them up some more.

Attachments

#12 ·
Picked up some silicone and the caps, hopefully that solves the water draining issue. I checked out the drain tubes from the sunroof, just in case, but those don't seem to be plugged or anything.

I'm gonna shit buildings if it's my windshield.

#15 · (Edited)
Nope, I'm actually running a 28.5" tall tire. 245/55/18 BFG Radial T/A Spec. It's the stock tire for 18" wheels on new Camaro's. They're not bad, a bit flexy for my tastes, but they're cheap($80) and I'd guess fairly readily available. Once they're wore out, I'm going to look for something the same height but with more width, a stiffer sidewall, and more summer-oriented tread. Thinking a Nitto NT555 in a 265/50/18 if I can get 5 for under $1000 installed. If I could find anything in a 275/50/18 I'd consider that as well.

#14 ·
Looking Good!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.