Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Question on towing Jeep behind motor home

7K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Candy Girl 
#1 ·
I hope you folks can help me. I had a supplemental braking system installed in my new Jeep-GCOverland. It is the Unified Tow braking system. It needs power to operate as the Jeep is being towed. In the towing instructions for the Jeep, it says that the negative battery cable must be disconnected. If I do this, there is no power to operate the braking system. Why does the cable have to be disconnected? If I do not do this, so the braking system has power, what would happen to the Jeep? Any thoughts are appreciated!

#3 ·
1. The requirement to disconnect the battery cable appears in the long version of the OM, it doesn't appear in the quick reference guide. That said I don't disconnect the negative cable with I tow behind my motorhome.

2. I also have a UTB, on my installation the dealer ran the battery charging line from the motorhome to the jeep, so that keeps the battery charged while towing.

Hope this helps.

#4 ·
Just wanted to share this picture.

This guy literally drove across the country with his wife in a 2" Budget Boost WK towing this. He has over 200,000 miles I think.

#5 ·
CaptPat, that does help and I really appreciate you giving me this info. I had the UTB on my '96 Jeep GC and never had a problem. That is why I had it installed on my new baby. I was told by the RV dealer who installed it that I should leave the cable attached. I was just concerned that if I did this, something would happen to the Jeep, but it seems all is ok with you, so it is ok to do. I also remember something about the motor home charging the Jeep's battery as it was being towed. I felt if I disconnected the cable, everything would have to be set again every time we towed. Not fun and I do not feel like doing that!

#6 ·
Capt Pat, another question for you. What level do you have your quadra lift set to when towing? And, does the key fob have to be left in the ignition? If so, what position? Off, Acc???? A little concerned about leaving the key fob in the ignition. Afraid my baby could be stolen even tho I would lock the doors, but I think the fob still in the vehicle could open the doors. Am I right? Thanks for the help!!!

#7 ·
I leave my quadra lift in the normal ride height.

No need to leave the fob in the car or the ignition since the steering wheel doesn't lock. I take the fob with me and lock the doors. Ignition in OFF.

#11 ·
I had contacted Jeep with my questions prior to posting here..and I am still waiting to hear from them!!!

I know from the manual that when the Jeep needs to be towed on a flat bed, something needs to be done to the quadra lift-I can't recall right now and I do not have my manual handy. It states it in the little manual, but I do not remember what the large manual stated if anything at all. I will have to look. And, as CaptPat said, in the little manual, it does not say anything about disconnecting the battery. Don't you just love the clear info we received???? Imagine if I did not order the large manual. I would not even have heard about the battery disconnect!

#12 ·
I know from the manual that when the Jeep needs to be towed on a flat bed, something needs to be done to the quadra lift-I can't recall right now and I do not have my manual handy.
From page 451:

NOTE: Vehicles equipped with Quadra-Lift™ must be lowered to the “Park” (lowest) level, and have automatic leveling disabled, before tying them down (from the body) on a trailer or flatbed truck. Refer to “Quadra-Lift™ – If Equipped” in “Starting and Operating” for more information. If the vehicle cannot be lowered to the “Park” level (for example, engine will not run), tie-downs must be fastened to the axles (not to the body). Failure to follow these instructions may cause fault codes to be set and/or loss of proper tie-down tension.

From page 365:

The Quadra-Lift™ air suspension system has a feature which allows the automatic leveling to be disabled. Press and hold both the “Up” and “Down” buttons simultaneously between 5 and 10 seconds, a message will appear in the EVIC stating leveling has been disabled immediately after both buttons have been released.

#14 ·
starting on page 456 of the manual, there are pretty detailed instructions for how to set up the driveline for a flat tow. Truck in park, trans case in neutral. 4x2 and QT1 trucks cannot be flat towed.

#15 · (Edited)
1200RT-P, Thanks for the help. I always appreciate others' thoughts on my dilemmas!

I was concerned that they had not provided some details to complete the instructions and there were some conflicting ones when I compared the small manual we received with the Jeep and the large manual I had to request from Chrysler. For example, one said to disconnect the battery, the other did not. One said to put the key fob in the off/unlock position the other did not, and what is the off/unlock position? That is not one of the positions on the ignition in the Jeep-at least it is not labeled as such. Also, what happens to the key fob? Does it remain in the Jeep or is it removed? One book said to remove it, another made no mention of it. What setting should the quadra lift be in? Position one or park? No mention of this anywhere in either book. There may have been others, but I don't recall them off the top of my head right now. Chyrsler needs to be sure all details are there and they are consistent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.