Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Thud in steering wheel at low speed (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/thud-in-steering-wheel-at-low-speed-24628.html)

jp467 06-18-2011 09:26 PM

Thud in steering wheel at low speed

There is another thread on this, but I was just wondering how many had this and what model they have (limited overland etc). Sometimes at low speed less than 10 mph going over small bumps usually with the brakes on I get a thud in the steering wheel. There is no noise with this just a thud or pop i feel in the wheel. I wanted to know if anyone has addressed this with a dealer and what it was or if it's just inherent to the vehicle?

voyagerx 06-19-2011 01:27 AM

I have it (as mentioned in other post). 5.7 Overland

nickyj 06-19-2011 07:43 AM

Re: Thud in steering wheel at low speed

I've noticed as well in my 5.7 Limited.

1200RT-P 06-19-2011 12:13 PM

I do not believe i have this issue. I do hear a small pop at very low speeds, but I believe this is something to do with MDS. I don't ever feel anything in the wheel.

Laredo X 5.7

voyagerx 06-19-2011 12:27 PM

I wonder if this is something specific to quadra lift?

MikeD 06-19-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voyagerx (Post 433739)
I wonder if this is something specific to quadra lift?

I have a 5.7 Overland and have it as well, I was thinking it was specific to quadra lift. I don't notice it in sport mode as much though.

xj31 06-19-2011 03:31 PM

I have seen the steering intermediate shaft cause this. Usually when braking you feel a slight knock in the steering wheel. New shaft has cured it.

Davidoconn 06-19-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp467 (Post 433512)
There is another thread on this, but I was just wondering how many had this and what model they have (limited overland etc). Sometimes at low speed less than 10 mph going over small bumps usually with the brakes on I get a thud in the steering wheel. There is no noise with this just a thud or pop i feel in the wheel. I wanted to know if anyone has addressed this with a dealer and what it was or if it's just inherent to the vehicle?

I have it also. GC Overland 5.7. Thought it could be the intermediate shaft as I had something similar on another car but it is so light on the GC and since others have it I question if it is just normal.

jp467 06-19-2011 10:28 PM

Yes it seems based on the replies that it is the ones with the 5.7 and air suspension that do this. I wondered because I had a 2011 3.6 Limited before I got the 5.7 Overland and the Limited did not do it. I just though I would post here before talking to the dealer about it. I didn't want them tearing it apart trying to fix something that can't be fixed creating other problems in the process. Been down that road. I will just assume it's something the Overlands do. Maybe they will come out with a TSB for it at some point.

odoylesfury 06-19-2011 11:54 PM

My Overland does the same thing. I only notice it when I have it raised to the max level and going over rough terrain. Scares the shit out of me everytime I hear it. For me it seems to come from the passenger front when that tire goes up and then down fast. Scares me at first but it's more annoying then anything. Always think that something just broke.

frydryce 06-20-2011 02:00 AM

Overland 4x4 5.7... same here

GrandFa 06-20-2011 02:23 AM

The same. And I know a few people in Russia with this problem if I correctly picked the word.
We do not ask the dealer, we are waiting. As they say in Russia - a good beat (mb pop or Thud), sooner or later will come out:)