Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Parking Lot Ritual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/parking-lot-ritual-24643.html)

AquaForester 06-19-2011 02:49 PM

Parking Lot Ritual

This isn't necessarily related to only WK2 vehicles but I'm curious what everyone's parking lot ritual is like. I know when I go to park, I'm always looking for a 'ding friendly' situation. So I size it up and usually go for a corner spot or one that is far away. Are most of you this concerned about dings?

vikingdave 06-19-2011 03:06 PM

Re: Parking Lot Ritual

I shouldn't even say this because my luck may end, but I'm in my forties and have driven fairly new cars my entire adult life without even a hint of a door ding. In my opinion the best thing to do is to park carefully, but not like an idiot that just pisses people off by taking up multiple spots. I'll also choose a big spot between two cars over one with open spots on both sides, less chance of a ding that way.

robpp 06-19-2011 03:08 PM

so concerned that I leave the NICE vehicle at home and use the DD to go anywhere I may not be able to find a GOOD SPOT/

Medichic 06-19-2011 03:18 PM

I park in between cars that are newer or more expensive than mine!

andyh 06-19-2011 03:21 PM

I shoot for the far corner space in a lot that is nowhere near full. If the lot is close to full I look for a space by a nice car. Most importantly, never drive the Jeep to Walmart.

mhassler 06-19-2011 03:23 PM

I think most people don't care about 1) their cars and 2) they care even less about other peoples property (they aren't down with O.P.P)

I park as far away as possible in any situation, even at Chruch, and we have a 4-month old and a 5-yr old. I am fully capable of walking from the end of the parking lot and I don't need the aggravation of being in the first ten spots. If its raining I don't go out or I drop off the wife and wait in the car and listen to the Orioles lose or get on Jeep Garage on my phone :)

If I must pick a spot near another car I try to park next to the other "nice" cars; the 'vettes, 'stangs, 7-series BMWs, S-class Benz's, etc.

The hardest part was converting my wife. Her old Honda was in terrible shape! For a 2007 it looked like a 1997. But she has since seen the need to park far away, not out of fear for door dings but out of necessity - the rear doors on her R-Class are at least 3-ft long. She HAS to have open spots on each side of her in order to get the doors open for the kids to get out.

DurangoZJ 06-19-2011 05:08 PM

I park my car in an open spot. I know, exciting.

AquaForester 06-19-2011 05:59 PM

OK, so it sounds like I'm not alone. I don't mind parking far away so I decrease chance of a dink and it's some forced exercise. I never take two spots, as mentioned that just pisses people off and your asking for something IMO. I do the parking between two nice car thing to, but of course when you come back to your car, there might be two pieces of crap next to you. What's the protocol anyway. Suppose you come out of the store and you see someone hit your car and it leaves a dink? Besides "you are a $%^#." What can you do?

robpp 06-19-2011 06:02 PM

i usually empty my craw of anything I can muster.....and put it all over the door handle of the vehicle/

ThaSaint 06-19-2011 06:02 PM

Back of the lot for me. I've had ppl hit my car with their door while I was sitting in it. NYC is unbelievable.

Repo503 06-19-2011 06:10 PM

I just park where I think I can get out quickly. Old habits die hard I guess. I really don't worry about door dings. I rarely keep a car or truck more than about 3 years anyways...and besides the Jeep isn't like a Rolls Royce or something. I don't really consider a 45k car to be all that expensive.

MasterWK 06-19-2011 06:55 PM

I've gotten a scuff on my car while parking in assigned school parking. I have pics of the matching scuff on the other car (driven by a girl) and on mine. I've reported it to the school, brought it up with the other person, and they still won't pay or apologize. Because of this, I avoid all other cars. So pissed still.