Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Noise when put into drive or reverse (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/noise-when-put-into-drive-or-reverse-24690.html)

1_\/\_WK 06-20-2011 03:46 PM

Noise when put into drive or reverse

So when I back up, stop, put the jeep in park I hear a pop/ bang noise. Any ideas?

Escape 06-20-2011 10:15 PM

Re: Noise when put into drive or reverse

T case / driveshaft slop.

How loud is the bang/pop?

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-20-2011 10:20 PM

you might have some bushings that have work out.

1_\/\_WK 06-21-2011 09:46 AM

Its fairly loud. I just recently started hearing it.

2005JGC 06-21-2011 03:33 PM

Do you feel it hit? the front differential bushings (x2 + 1 mount) are pretty common to fail and cause a clunk. The fact you say it does it going into gear would lead me to believe this is your issue.

There is also a common clunk associated with the 545rfe reguarding shifting from a gear to neutral (D or R) The manual valve dumps fluid pressure causing any torque being applied to the drivetrain to be quite literally be dumped causing a torque snap. I just found in class that there is a revised manual valve with another land added that has a slot cut into it to slow the relief of pressure into neutral that was a change made in 2009 that all the information my instructor was given was backwards compatible to 545's built before 2009 when the change was made. Ill be looking into this mod for myself and will report back when I do it, possibly a how to associated with it. Again this concern is due to a torque snap INTO neutral (and park).

lll2for3lll 06-21-2011 05:12 PM

How much to replace those bushings? I'm going in Saturday.

Crashtown 06-21-2011 05:57 PM

I have a nice, loud pop when shifting into R from P. It has been progressively getting worse over the months. Its bad enough now to shake by rear view mirrors. I guess I'm just hoping it's the front isolator bushings, rather than something worse.

2005JGC 06-21-2011 06:07 PM

that is likely the bushings ESPECIALLY in a 5.7l VERY common. I wanna say my dealer charges in the neighborhood of 450-550 dollars for all bushings and the front mount to be replaced, low or high, I am not here to justify dealer pricing, but its like 3 or 3.5hrs labor to pull the diff housing, remove and install new bushings. plus the bushings which are like 35-45 bucks each iirc and the front mount is a tad over 100 again iirc. USUALLY the front mount is not bad, its usually the bushing over the carrier housing that goes really bad.

That combine with my other suggestion of the manual valve dumping pressure can really cause a pretty nasty clunk when changing through the range.

I went to parts and didnt even think about it, the manual valve may only be serviced with the valve body assembly... Ill keep searching and follow up.

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-21-2011 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lll2for3lll (Post 435214)
How much to replace those bushings? I'm going in Saturday.

i remember someone posted it on here once....... pretty expensive because it is alot of labor

4.whoa 06-21-2011 07:58 PM

I just had mine done. $550 with the 2 pressed bushings and 1 $30 qt of gear oil :eek:. I didnt think about the oil before hand, and they didnt ask, so I got 1/2 of a front diff oil change :mad:

I said " you only topped it off?"
dealer- "yeah they don't hold much"
me-"So you just left the old .8 qt? what a waste"
dealer- "......:worried:......."

I need to go back as NOW my rt cv boot is puke'n- wasn't before. damn dealers :smh:

viking757 06-21-2011 09:10 PM

More than likely its the isolator axle bushings:

Part # 52089516AB

Mine are getting replaced this weekend actually. The stealer around here charges $38 per and you can find them for ~$16 online. Im doing the work myself so its a pretty cheap repair if you have the tools and time..

lll2for3lll 06-21-2011 09:15 PM

Cheap repair.......how about easy?????