Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Tire Pressure (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/tire-pressure-24705.html)

jp467 06-20-2011 09:30 PM

Tire Pressure

I know I have posted about this before and it may seem like I am stuck on this tire pressure issue. Today I lowered the pressure on my Overland to 33 cold to see how it would ride at that pressure( they recommend 36) I found the ride to be better and the slight vibration I was getting around 70 is gone. After they warm up the pressure rises to about 36 hot. I was talking to a neighbor of mine with a new Tahoe and it has 275/55/20 tires and the recommended pressure is 30/30. It just makes me wonder how jeep comes up with this 36 cold because they warm to 38 or 39 at this pressure and it really does not ride as well at those pressure. Anyone have any thoughts on this.

vikingdave 06-20-2011 10:16 PM

Re: Tire Pressure

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp467 (Post 434644)
I know I have posted about this before and it may seem like I am stuck on this tire pressure issue. Today I lowered the pressure on my Overland to 33 cold to see how it would ride at that pressure( they recommend 36) I found the ride to be better and the slight vibration I was getting around 70 is gone. After they warm up the pressure rises to about 36 hot. I was talking to a neighbor of mine with a new Tahoe and it has 275/55/20 tires and the recommended pressure is 30/30. It just makes me wonder how jeep comes up with this 36 cold because they warm to 38 or 39 at this pressure and it really does not ride as well at those pressure. Anyone have any thoughts on this.

33 Cold is what Jeep recommends for my Laredo-X with 18" wheels, and it rides great. I think the shorter side walls just require more pressure with the 20's.

Steve20016 06-20-2011 10:21 PM

Lower pressure will provide a softer, more car-like ride. But lower pressure also makes the tire run hotter. Personnally I'd stick with the pressure recommended by the tire manufacturer. A number of years ago Ford recommended that the Firestone tire on Explorers be kept at 26 psi rather than the 35 psi recommended by Bridgestone/Firestone. They were in litigation for years over the Exlorer roll overs. Firestone engineers claimed the tire failures were temperature related, running too hot.

jp467 06-21-2011 12:20 AM

It's the auto manufacture that comes up with the recommended tire pressure. In fords case they were recommending 26 psi which really is low tire pressure. I am talking about running 33 or 34 cold with the 20 inch wheels. The problem is with the higher pressure which really turns out to be 38-40 it just drives like it has over inflated tires.

Steve20016 06-21-2011 08:17 AM

If you like how it performs then go for it. Ford recommended that pressure because it made the Explorer run smoother. I have a few close friends who are engineers with NHTSA. They worked on the Explorer problem, are very opinionated on the issue and am recalling the many conversations we had about it.

As you mentioned, your suggested pressure is not as low as what Ford did. I'm going to keep mine at the recommended.

jp467 06-21-2011 08:37 AM

I wasn't suggesting that anyone lower their tire pressure. It was more of a question of what other thought.