Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   Just installed 20" SRT Reps...HELP (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/just-installed-20-srt-reps-help-24758.html)

07HemiJeep 06-21-2011 07:22 PM

Just installed 20" SRT Reps...HELP

I just installed new srt reps (will have pics soon). I have a 2007 5.7 limited. My issue is the ride is a bit rough, which may be because I am not use to the bigger wheels. Just need a few questions answered. I am running 275/45/20 Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires on stock suspension...Now here are my issues

1. What psi should the tires all be at? I know the stock wheels call for 33 all around but that is for the 17" wheels. These tires came with 2 at 50 psi, one at 48 and one at 42....I am assuming this is my issue and causing the rougher ride...But I don't know what I should set them all to. The max for the tire is 50.

2. Do I need an alignment after installing these? I see some people say yes while others say no.

3. Does it matter what tires go where as in, are they directional? I didn't see any markings for that.

Any answers are appreciated. Going on a large trip soon and want to have this ready...Sorry for the long post.

White Chocolate 06-21-2011 07:25 PM

Re: Just installed 20" SRT Reps...HELP

Umm they installed the tires at 50 psi?? Are you serious? Yes that is way to high. As for an alignment, no you dont need one for putting new tires on.

Tires (some) have a directional pattern. So yes it does matter.

07HemiJeep 06-21-2011 07:27 PM

Yeah I ordered from oe wheels and had them mount and balance everything...I just checked the psi tonight to be sure and couldn't believe it...I'm no expert but does that mean they are balanced wrong since the psi was all off or can I just change them all to a certain psi and be good? Everything I see about directional says it will be on the sidewall, which I didn't see.

Scottina06 06-21-2011 07:35 PM

if they are direction.....it will say on the sidewall. About 33-35 psi should be fine.

To be honest....I would get an alignment if youve never had one done. Your alignment couldve been off with the 17's on and you wouldnt have noticed the tire wear. believe me...with 20's and lower profile tires....YOU will notice tire wear.

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-21-2011 07:48 PM

definately get an alignment and lower the pressure. bigger wheels will be a rougher ride, because the rubber sidewall is smaller.

Scottina06 06-21-2011 07:49 PM

I dontknow about you guys...but when I went from 17's to 20's...the ride was 100x better.

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-21-2011 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 435344)
I dontknow about you guys...but when I went from 17's to 20's...the ride was 100x better.

it is firmer and more in control, but you feel the bumps more

Marlin 06-21-2011 07:52 PM

^^^ It really shouldn't be, as obviously the slimmer sidewall transfers more road contours/bump into the suspension.... maybe you went from old worn 17's to nice new 20's..... in that case I can understand an improvement in NVH levels...

Scottina06 06-21-2011 08:02 PM

nope...I went from goodyear SRA's with like 7000 miles to brand new runflats and 20" wheels. It was night and day for me...JMO

07HemiJeep 06-21-2011 09:29 PM

damn thank you guys for all the quick replies...Well that sounds good then I'll put them all to around 35psi and see if that makes a difference and possibly get the alignment. Just to clear things up, since they came to me shipped this way, would that mean anything is wrong with the mount/balance if they came with different psi's? Basically would it have thrown off the balance or that means nothing? I'm clueless when it comes to this...Last thing, since I have the quadra drive II, I'm guessing running the reps with this tire size wouldn't affect anything? From what I have seem to read, no one has had any issues. Just making sure I'm cool with stock suspension and everything.

Scottina06 06-21-2011 09:32 PM

they prolly balanced them at the correct psi and then blasted them with air to help protect the wheels during shipment. Most wheels I have gotten usually have a note to correct the air pressure.

Marlin 06-21-2011 09:33 PM

You're all good mate, just fit them up, adjust the pressures, and you're away and enjoying :)