Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   Transgo-HD2 & Sonnax LB2 installed (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/transgo-hd2-and-sonnax-lb2-installed-24766.html)

StephenE 06-21-2011 11:50 PM

Transgo-HD2 & Sonnax LB2 installed

I will apologize up front for the lack of pictures (trans fluid everywhere). Sonnax LB2 already installed. :{

The wife got me great birthday present(s) this year...
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/13504932-md.jpg

Seems that it will take a little while to learn the new shift points and line pressure. I have noticed the around town shifts are smooth and quick.

cheapjeep 06-22-2011 12:29 AM

Re: Transgo-HD2 & Sonnax LB2 installed

Now do this next Steve and you'll be Really Really happy! This lets the HD2 do some real magic. It's called the torque management snip. http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=530531

Frango100 06-22-2011 03:12 AM

Im no expert on this, but increasing the line pressure will not create more stress to the oil pump and system? Will it finally not reduce the service live of the tranny?

janibeans 06-22-2011 12:50 PM

When I did my install, I found that the flat transmission pan filter was the wrong one; the filter had a "bump" in the trailing edge of the filter, which interfered with the pan(inadequate clearance), and leads me to conclude that the filter in the kit was for a deeper sump transmission pan. I had to re-use my old filter as a result. I didn't install the resistor supplied with the kit, and am looking forward to buying/installing the Sonnax resistor. I love the shift kit so far, and can't wait to see how it is with additional line pressure.

One note: It may not apply to your '02, but with my '99, after I did the torque management snip, I've run into the ~4000rpm shift point and the transmission not wanting to downshift sometimes. Seems like this mostly applies to the '99's. If I shut it off and start it back up, it normally goes away. Not sure what the issue is with '99's doing this, but it's enough of an annoyance that I'm probably going to undo the snip.

cheapjeep 06-22-2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 435556)
Im no expert on this, but increasing the line pressure will not create more stress to the oil pump and system? Will it finally not reduce the service live of the tranny?

Hey buddy hows things? I'm sure that if you somehow went to extremes it could cause problems but the Transgo resistor combined with the stiffer springs just optimizes the tranny within its design parameters.The result is much faster and firmer shifts with less overlap between gears. This in turn reduces heat and friction wear which is much better for the tranny over stock.The torque reduction mod just eliminates the timing reduction on wot shifts and really makes a difference.You have to remember that the 545rfe lives behind Hemi horsepower every day so I don't think durability is a problem with the 4.7. But unfortunately in your case because you have an 04 non HO you have a different pcm so it wont apply to you. But then again since yours is an export model it might still be Jtech so you could follow the instructions in the link in my earlier post.Easy way to tell is if you have the finned tcm by the overflow tank.This mod usually applies to 99 to 03 4.7s and all HO motors. Hope this clears things up a bit buddy.

scjeep4.7HO 06-22-2011 01:12 PM

I've got all this and then some. I would highly recommend getting the PML deep trans pan and a dedicated trans cooler.

StephenE 06-22-2011 01:55 PM

Thanks for all the feedback.

I have read about disabling torque management, but not entirely sure I want to clip wires (I know I can reconnect them). I will look to see if there is a way to remove the entire connector for pin 10 on the TCM.

Frank, I also was somewhat skeptical about running the line pressure booster on the transmission, but after reading others testimonials on the net I felt it was safe enough (I can always remove it).

I really like the look of the PML pan and might consider one in the near future. My jeep came with a dedicated cooler, would I need one better than stock?

StephenE 06-22-2011 10:59 PM

I went ahead and did the torque management modification. I have to say that I am thoroughly impressed with the shift kit/torque management combination.

cheapjeep 06-22-2011 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenE (Post 436109)
I went ahead and did the torque management modification. I have to say that I am thoroughly impressed with the shift kit/torque management combination.

Those 2 together are Gold! Puts a smile on my face every time.

Frango100 06-23-2011 09:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Janibeans, i think that they gave you the 4x2 tranny pan filter. I had the same issue and only discovered it when i wanted to put the pan back on. The 4x2 filter has indeed a bump on it, preventing it to fit with the 4x4 pan. Not only the bump is a difference, but also the fluid pickup tube is different.
I also ended up reusing the old filter.
On attached picture the 4x4 on the left and the 4x2 on the right.

janibeans 06-23-2011 12:45 PM

Ah ha! You are a scholar and a gentleman, Frango. I appreciate your knowledge and will 'tap' my girlsfriend's 'sweet buttery dinner roll' in your honor tonight.