Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Bad Wheel Bearing? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/bad-wheel-bearing-24795.html)

UrbanAssaultJeep 06-22-2011 06:08 PM

Bad Wheel Bearing?

I am pretty sure I have a bad wheel bearing as the sound/feeling goes with the speed of the vehicle.

How can I figure out for sure what wheel it is?

Frango100 06-22-2011 10:16 PM

Re: Bad Wheel Bearing?

It can be a wheel bearing, a CV joint from one of the drive shafts, propellor shaft CV or U-joint or even a diff bearing. Bearing noises can be difficult to pinpoint. Can you at least pinpoint it to front or rear? Then you could check the drive shaft CV joint boots if they are still intact. Try to feel if there is any play on the CV joints. Wheel bearings normally don't show any play even when starting to make noise, so its not that easy to be sure which bearing it is. Jack up the Jeep and rotate each wheel and listen for any abnormal sound.

UrbanAssaultJeep 06-22-2011 10:30 PM

I'll try jacking it up tomorrow and see what I find.

bacernate 06-22-2011 11:50 PM

Go down the road a swerve a little each way, a wheel bearing will change pitch with weight of the vehicle. If the pitch does not change you need to let a mechanic spin the wheels on a lift to pinpoint. Awd vehicles transfer noises alot.

UrbanAssaultJeep 06-26-2011 09:17 AM

I jacked up the vehicle the other day, and turned each wheel and really didn't hear anything to me that sounded quite like what I hear driving down the road, so I don't believe its a bearing or CV axle. Those seem to be in good condition. I know that these have those calipers that cause the rotors to warp, could it be from that or possibly low life brake pads or anything of that nature? I haven't checked the pads but maybe that could be it? The brakes do pump a little bit when slowing down. If it was a differential or anything of that nature, would there be some other signs or ways to tell that its that? I just don't want a simple fix now turn into a $2000 fix a month from now.

Frango100 06-26-2011 11:04 AM

You could check the differential fluid for signs of metal shavings. Did you try the method mentioned by bacernate?

UrbanAssaultJeep 06-26-2011 05:07 PM

Yeah I never really heard any difference.

Frango100 06-26-2011 05:42 PM

If it would be brake related, the sound should change if you lightly apply the brake pedal. Do you hear any difference in that case?
Did you change the diff fluid lately? If not, this would be a good reason to do so and check the fluid for debris.

Knoxxio 07-01-2011 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanAssaultJeep (Post 437890)
Yeah I never really heard any difference.

Jacking up the car, wiggling and rotating the wheels (even a mecahnic spin) do not give the slightest indication of a bad wheel bearing. :mad:
Ours started months ago with a humming sound like coming from the front differential and later on an obd code C1417 (4WD system needs service).
Above 100km/hrs we heard less but with swerving it camefrom left.
Last week the dealer had inspect the oil in the front diffential and did not find something suspicious in it, so he had changed the left front wheel bearing and cleared the EHIC.
Now ours drives so silent till the right side comes up..:mad:

UrbanAssaultJeep 07-07-2011 06:51 PM

I checked my rear differential fluid today and it had an orange color to it, the limited slip was about half full too so I took care of that.

I have finally figured out that it has to be the right front wheel bearing so can I replace just the bearing, or does it have to be the whole hub assembly?

Frango100 07-07-2011 08:12 PM

You have to change the whole hub assy. Don't know why, but they only sell it as an assy. Around 80-90 USD when i'm not wrong.
What do you mean with that the limited slip was about half full??? Don't know the color of the limited slip additive, but my diff fluid is slightly brownish.

JeepMe 07-07-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanAssaultJeep (Post 443758)
I checked my rear differential fluid today and it had an orange color to it, the limited slip was about half full too so I took care of that.

I have finally figured out that it has to be the right front wheel bearing so can I replace just the bearing, or does it have to be the whole hub assembly?

You replace the whole assembly. It's SO much easier than the old bearings where you had to press them on/off and pack them with grease. Even with stubborn bolts and a stuck hub assembly (that pulled into 2 pieces), it took me less than 1 hour to do with hand tools and a 3 jaw puller.

I recommend doing both at the same time. If one went bad, it's usually a short matter of time before the other goes out. Also, I recommend getting new mounting bolts (or cleaning the old ones with a die) so they go in easier. Or else they're a PITA.