Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Pioneer app radio (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/pioneer-app-radio-24797.html)

Radside 06-22-2011 07:25 PM

Pioneer app radio

Anybody hear about this yet? I just pulled the trigger on this from Crutchfield and will install it in my JKU Wrangler when I get it.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...adio+(SPH-DA01)

lll2for3lll 06-22-2011 07:46 PM

Re: Pioneer app radio

Posted this already but nobody seemed to care. Lol.

I would buy it (oh yeah, in a heartbeat) but the screen isn't big enough.

I would imagine apps like Navigon would display navigation on the screen. So awesome.

Andrew Klossner 06-22-2011 08:18 PM

That's quite a misleading product page. The "App Radio" doesn't run Apple apps or iOS. It runs its own small set of apps and can connect to an iPhone in pretty much the usual way.

It can only play music from its radio or from an attached iPod/iPhone. No CD, no hard disk. I'm not sure -- the documentation is weak -- but it doesn't look like it contains a GPS, relying instead on an iPhone for navigation.

I don't see this as competition for any of the head units that come in a WK2.

lll2for3lll 06-22-2011 08:47 PM

When I first read about it a while back, my understanding was that curtain AppStore apps would be updated to work along with the HU.

Like if you have Navigon on your iPhone, it would be displayed in the screen when connected.

I could have misunderstood it.

Radside 06-22-2011 09:50 PM

This is my understanding as well. It is a front end for the iPhone. It takes the concept of playing your iPhone music a step further by controlling other "approved" apps from the HU. My Wrangler is my toy and I've been looking for another HU for it...for $399, it got me hooked. I'm sure I'm going to end up being a guinea pig though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lll2for3lll (Post 436045)
When I first read about it a while back, my understanding was that curtain AppStore apps would be updated to work along with the HU.

Like if you have Navigon on your iPhone, it would be displayed in the screen when connected.

I could have misunderstood it.

Radside 06-23-2011 10:19 PM

I got a shipping notification from Crutchfield so it should be arriving Fri or Sat. I'll provide my impressions one I have it installed.

jonpeter001 06-27-2011 12:30 AM

Pioneer has been slowly adding iPhone app integration to its line of AVIC all-in-one receivers for the last two generations. First came PandoraLink, then Aha Radio and Motion-X GPS Drive in the latest generation. Today, Pioneer announced at an event in San Francisco that it's taking smartphone app integration to the next level with AppRadio: a standalone in-dash receiver that uses the iPhone and its apps as the primary source of for its audio and connectivity.
In a nutshell, AppRadio acts as a terminal, allowing users to interact with the apps and media stored on their smartphones, particularly Apple's iPhone 4 and iPod Touch devices. Pioneer has announced initial partnerships with four app developers: Motion-X GPS Drive, Rdio streaming music, Pandora Internet Radio, and Inrix Traffic. Users interact with these apps using AppRadio's capacitive touch screen (an industry first for an in-dash unit) via custom car-centric interfaces that are aimed at keeping the driver safe and distraction-free. For example, users can start navigation using Motion-X GPS Drive and then have the turn-by-turn directions mirrored on AppRadio's screen with spoken prompts coming through the car's speakers. Feature sets for some apps may also be culled to keep the driver from getting to focused on the touch screen--for example, station creation has been omitted from Pandora and search is disabled in Rdio.

Andrew Klossner 06-27-2011 10:35 AM

"Industry first"? The OEM in-dash stereo in my wife's 2004 Prius has a capacitive touch screen.

ColdCase 06-27-2011 11:50 AM

Pioneer has been know to take a few marketing liberties and to modify history a bit.... perhaps a first for them :). Not as bad as some others, however.

lll2for3lll 06-27-2011 08:24 PM

Pioneer. Good stuff.

chris79 11-21-2011 09:03 AM

I think there is another interesting partnership between pioneer and an onlineradio service called aupeo.com. They have many different music channels and their iphone app seems to work pretty nice with the pioneer. I found a video on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=...type=2&theater
Maybe that`s a good alternative to e.g. pandora...

Andrew Klossner 11-22-2011 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris79 (Post 519166)
Maybe that`s a good alternative to e.g. pandora...

Or maybe that's just an advertisement disguised as a post from a new user. :rolleyes: