Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Detailing (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/)
-   -   Wheel Treatment (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/wheel-treatment-24805.html)

Electronut 06-22-2011 09:37 PM

Wheel Treatment

Hey guys,

I been reading a ton on here and can't rave enough about JG. I been spending way too much money on my jeep ! Lol. I'll have pics posted soon. I'm almost done with all my mods.

Now to my question. One of the first mods I did to my jeep was buy aftermarket 20" Avarus wheels. They are made by Savini.

Error on my part is that I never treated them or put any protection on them. I was however always careful when going through the car wash for them to never spray any of the harsh wheel cleaner products on them to ruin the finish.

Now however I notice I have "swirl" markings on the polished aluminum lip and also other marks going deeper into the well of the wheel.

Is there a polisher or cleaner I can use to rid or lessen the visibility of these markings to give them that once again new mirror like finish?

I now know to clean, wax, protect, etc simular to my paint and I plan on it as soon as I can hopefully take care of these marks.

Thanks.

Scottina06 06-22-2011 09:47 PM

Re: Wheel Treatment

it sounds like swirls and light scratches in the clearcoat. Do you know for sure they are clearcoated? Check with the manufacturer and get back to us.

Electronut 06-24-2011 07:47 PM

Trying to find out. I would damn hope they are at $360 a wheel.

Website doesn't say much. Dealer I bought from went through Tirerack only because I told him to since he was mounting and balancing the tires for me with the total price. I got Yokos Parada Spec-X rubber all around. They are the exclusive distributer of these wheels. They advised there is a 1 year finish warranty to them. I am over the year at this point.

I have the AV4's in Black Machined Finish.

http://avaruswheels.com/index.htm

Electronut 06-27-2011 06:56 PM

***Further update

I went to wheel shop where I bought the wheels and tires. Turns out outer lip and going inward is stainless steel. Face of wheel is machined aluminum and cleared.

Damn car washes did the swirls to the wheels. Guy at shop is looking into whether or not the design of my wheels can be properly polished again and swirls buffed out to get them mirror like again. He took my spare and going to have checked out and get back to me. Said will cost $125. I am willing to pay to have a knowledgable person do properly.

He said that stainless steal wheels are not cleared because it takes the sheen away from them.

Once he polishes if possible what can I can put on them for protectant to avoid this from happening again? Obviously, no more car washes for me now. So much for listening to the bozo at shop I bought the wheels from saying it was safe to go through car wash with them.

TJXJWJ 06-28-2011 08:07 AM

I have never heard of stainless steel lips on wheels. It's about damn time!
Stainless is your friend. If it's un-coated (and I would imagine it is) all you need to do is use some quality metal polish. Wenol makes some good stuff. NeverDull is great stuff too. See how that works on JUST the polished stainless steel first before paying someone to do anything. Top it with a nice coat of wax and you should be good to go. If the scratches are deeper, it may take a high-speed buffer.

Electronut 06-28-2011 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 438753)
I have never heard of stainless steel lips on wheels. It's about damn time!
Stainless is your friend. If it's un-coated (and I would imagine it is) all you need to do is use some quality metal polish. Wenol makes some good stuff. NeverDull is great stuff too. See how that works on JUST the polished stainless steel first before paying someone to do anything. Top it with a nice coat of wax and you should be good to go. If the scratches are deeper, it may take a high-speed buffer.

Thanks so much Tony. Indeed they are uncoated.

What about P21S polishing soap? Suppossed to be really good on metals. Not sure how that would compare to the other products you mentioned. I will definitely first try on my own.

TJXJWJ 06-28-2011 09:45 AM

No idea on the P21S...I've never used it. Stainless can even be polished with a rotary buffing wheel on a drill. Have you tried or considered those "powerballs" you can get for polishing? It would make life a lot easier. It's messy, but the results are great.
That's what I used to use on this beast...everything you see here is either un-coated stainless or uncoated aluminum.

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/.../WRANGLER1.jpg

Crestwood1001 07-03-2011 11:41 PM

Dude, avoid those car washes at ALL costs.

hbheath 09-23-2011 09:27 PM

$125 per wheel for polish? or 125 for all...you can make a sound investment in polishing products for $125 bucks...either way.

robpp 09-23-2011 09:30 PM

and ask the guy who polishes them how to maintain them.....they will set yoiu right so you dont go thru this again.

SvenskaJeepGuy 09-28-2011 01:42 AM

when i destroyed my polished aluminum wheels by driving at the beach i was able to bring them back to a factory finish. i used a mini-powerball on my air drill with some ultimate compound on it. it worked wonders!