Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   about to buy Overland 2011... should i wait? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/about-to-buy-overland-2011-should-i-wait-24808.html)

Puget 06-22-2011 11:24 PM

about to buy Overland 2011... should i wait?
 
Hey everyone,

Im about to buy an overland 2011 in the next following days... Im starting to stress about whether to wait or not for next year's model. Im in desperate need of a vehicle though. When do the 2012 cherokees start selling in dealerships? How much is the price increase? What's a fair price for a standard overland nowadays (no optional packages except for the saddle seats? 41K a good price? (I think its high given the fact the model has been out for a while now)

ColdCase 06-23-2011 06:35 AM

Re: about to buy Overland 2011... should i wait?
 
If you intend to keep the car 10 years, there is no reason to wait unless you must have the new 6 speed tranny. Try to get one with a 2011 build date however (on the door panel) roughly serial numbers 650000 and above.

Chrysler just announced new incentives on the Laredo, don't appear to be budging on the others.

There was ~500 price increase May 1 and I think the 2012s may have another ~$500 increase. The 2012 should be hitting the dealer's lots about Sept 1st. I think you can order one now.

To go to edmunds or equivalent and find the invoice price, a good price would be 1000-2000 below the invoice. You may get better deals the longer you wait, but the selection will also be thinner. Shop around between dealers if you can, I saved $5000 by shopping.

Another good reference is true car

http://www.truecar.com/prices-new/je...2011/387BBAD9/

Steve20016 06-23-2011 06:59 AM

Re: about to buy Overland 2011... should i wait?
 
I am in a similar situation. My car is without a/c, not easily fixed without tearing out the dash. $$$. We decided to go ahead and purchase an overland now.
My pro buy now list:
1) 2012 models are months away from delivery, the dealer here said Sept.
2) Limited color selections for the early 2012 models
3) 6-sp transmission is really an updated 2011 5-sp
4) Washington summer is way to hot and humid to drive without a/c

Cons (buy later)
1) 2012s are around the corner
2) 2011 is not cheap and no bargains right now, why not wait and get a 2012 for the same basic price
3) few options new options

I ended up finding the exact GC I wanted, colors, engine, options, etc. so we are going for it.

UNCjeepWK2 06-23-2011 08:34 AM

Re: about to buy Overland 2011... should i wait?
 
I would wait if youre planning to get a V8 since the 2012s will have a 6-speed.

capitalst 06-23-2011 09:50 AM

Re: about to buy Overland 2011... should i wait?
 
I was wondering the same thing but I decided yesterday to order a 2012 Overland 4x4 with the V8. With the new 6 speed and the fact that besides the slight increase for 2012 I was still able to get the same amount off the new 2012 as I would with a 2011 on the lot. Also, think of resale. A year older Jeep 5 years from now will probably be worth at least 2-3k less than a 2012 would plus the 6 speed will be more appealing down the road compared to the 5 speed.

Mlebout 06-23-2011 08:51 PM

Re: about to buy Overland 2011... should i wait?
 
Don't wait!

Bmwister 06-23-2011 09:36 PM

Re: about to buy Overland 2011... should i wait?
 
My friend still surfs the internet and does his bookkeeping on an old Pentium PC. He was going to upgrade but then heard about the next new Intel processor and motherboard chipsets, so he waited. This has been going on for almost twelve years and I have replaced his system drive twice while he waits it out.

If you need a vehicle and like what the 2011 offers, then buy it. You'll get a better price, in fact you should get a GREAT deal, for essentially the same vehicle. You can always wait a bit longer and see what the 2013s will have...and pay more too.

Mlebout 06-23-2011 10:18 PM

Re: about to buy Overland 2011... should i wait?
 
Great analogy, Bmwister!

GTOGreg 06-24-2011 12:35 AM

Re: about to buy Overland 2011... should i wait?
 
Drive a hard bargain and get it now. Let 'em know you know the new models with the new trannys are coming and they need to clear their inventory. You're willing to wait but can do a deal now if the "price is right"...come on down. (Queue music: Tell them what he's won Johnny...why it's a new Grand Cherokee...with A/C!!!)

bigd 06-24-2011 06:39 AM

Re: about to buy Overland 2011... should i wait?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOGreg (Post 436690)
Drive a hard bargain and get it now. Let 'em know you know the new models with the new trannys are coming and they need to clear their inventory. You're willing to wait but can do a deal now if the "price is right"...come on down. (Queue music: Tell them what he's won Johnny...why it's a new Grand Cherokee...with A/C!!!)

I tried that at one dealer. I can get the same discount on the 2011 and the 2012 but they're not willing to deeply discount the 2011s yet. I think the problem is that they really can't compensate for one model year depreciation until the factory/manufacturer gives them a rebate to do so in order to clear out inventory. Otherwise they would be selling at a loss (a risk they don't yet need to take since the 2011s are still selling at a reasonable clip). Since I intend to keep the car for about 5 years I figure one model year of depreciation (w/ 0 miles driven) comes out to somewhere in the 2-3k range.

Perhaps after the July 4 weekend they will release an incentive to clear inventory? I imagine they would want to keep pretty tight-lipped about these things but perhaps Milous has some insight based on historical trend and/or current rumor ...

NHman 06-24-2011 10:31 AM

Re: about to buy Overland 2011... should i wait?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmwister (Post 436639)
My friend still surfs the internet and does his bookkeeping on an old Pentium PC. He was going to upgrade but then heard about the next new Intel processor and motherboard chipsets, so he waited. This has been going on for almost twelve years and I have replaced his system drive twice while he waits it out.

If you need a vehicle and like what the 2011 offers, then buy it. You'll get a better price, in fact you should get a GREAT deal, for essentially the same vehicle. You can always wait a bit longer and see what the 2013s will have...and pay more too.

Well put.

My research and looking at dealer inventories there is limited selection of Overland w/ the Hemi's. So if you want this particular model look at closing a deal soon. Prior to end month and quarter should give you the best opportunity.

There's always going to be the next best option, color, etc. If the current vehicle meets your requirements and it is available, go for it.

For pricing, I have just put a deposit on a MY11 Overland, Hemi and 730N. MSRP is 45,580 and buy price at $41,361. I'm happy with the deal.

Good luck in making your decision.




Regards,
NHman

Puget 06-25-2011 01:38 PM

Re: about to buy Overland 2011... should i wait?
 
Thanks for the responses. I'm buying it this following monday.. The vendor and I agreed on 40.5 K. Ill try to bargain a bit more before buying it though, see if I can bring it down to 40K at least. . V6 4*4 Overland...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community