Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Long idle down time (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/long-idle-down-time-2481.html)

1 GRAND 09-04-2009 08:37 AM

Long idle down time

Is it just mine, or do all 5.7's take forever to idle down on startup?

Every time I start mine, reguardless if the engine is warm or not it takes at least 40 seconds for it to idle back down to 1000 rpm's.

Just wondering if it is common.

I am also hearing an exhaust leak on my Overland. It sounds like a doughnut gasket leaking where the header would connect to the exhaust. Nothing loud, but I can hear it when I am going by a guardrail or mountain beside the Jeep and the sound echoing back to me. When I crawl under the Jeep and have someone rev the engine I can't hear it though.

I think I am going to try and tighten all of the exhaust connections and see if that will help any.

Robert Palmer 09-04-2009 08:52 AM

Re: Long idle down time

1.) Normal. I have it too.

2.) Normal, thats the HEMI tick. :(

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

With the tune it (tick) is almost gone. (Because MDS is shut off).

Also pressing the Tow/Haul button tones down the tick but you sacrifice 1/2 a mile per gallon.

1 GRAND 09-04-2009 08:56 AM

Cool, thanks.

I am going to have to get a magnaflow under it. Maybe that will kill out the tick sound.

My old 94 GC has the stock muffler under it, and it sounds way meaner than the Hemi. :lol:

Robert Palmer 09-04-2009 09:00 AM

The tick is even more noticeable with an aftermarket exhaust. Its the MDS.

Press the tow/haul button, the HEMI gets giggitty. :D

blackpepper 09-04-2009 02:48 PM

I was going to say that an aftermarket exhaust only makes the tick sound better. The long start up is probably an emissions thing but sure is annoying. The only time I really wait is during cold starts.

06SRT8300C 09-08-2009 10:41 AM

My HEMI takes forever to go down to normal idle also. Also the Tick. My 05 never had that issue with the idle though. My buddy had an 07 Ram and had the idle issue.

blackpepper 09-08-2009 12:28 PM

It's not really an issue if that is the design intention.. but do you guys feel the tranny sometimes "lug" into gear if you decide not to wait for the idle to drop?

Sometimes I'll go from P to D while holding the brakes and then I hear a weird noise from under the Jeep almost a whirling/gears spinning loudly until the gear engages.. am I alone on this one? It happens intermediately

1 GRAND 09-08-2009 02:36 PM

I have waited every time for mine to idle down. I can't stand to jam it in gear with it above 1000 rpms. I have not heard anything like that yet.

06SRT8300C 09-08-2009 03:20 PM

What i usually do is remote start it everytime about 50 ft away and by the time i get in and put the key in the idle is down to normal.

1 GRAND 09-09-2009 08:09 AM

I have been doing that too here lately.

blackpepper 09-09-2009 11:58 AM

Same here.. most of the time as soon as I'm in range the remote usually gets double clicked.

Marlin 09-09-2009 05:49 PM

Funnily enough, I don't seem to suffer the long idle down?