Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   nav or no nav (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/nav-or-no-nav-24860.html)

katie0010 06-24-2011 07:26 PM

nav or no nav

I have posted several questions on the radio/electronics thread about upgrading my radio (I need some help. I know nothing about this type of stuff)...
I am looking to upgrade my radio to a touch screen but I can't decide if I want to spend the extra money on the navigation? I want to stick with the mygig. Thoughts, suggestions? I also want to be able to use a back up camera.

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-24-2011 07:40 PM

Re: nav or no nav

get the navigation, i love mine!!

katie0010 06-24-2011 08:20 PM

Thanks, I have seen where you have written a lot on here. I really need some advice. Is there anything special I need to upgrade to the mygig touch screen? My jeep is a 2010 with satalite radio already. I know I would need an antenna for that if I didn't already have one. Do I need to change out the bezel (is that what it's called)? Also, I want a back up camera and was thinking of the parkview camera on justfor jeep. Clearly, I know nothing about installing anything like this. I'm going to take it to the dealership to install but know it will be cheaper if I purchase everything myself. Any tips would be appreciated.

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-24-2011 10:19 PM

you do not need to change the bezel, it is the same as the one you have now. you will need a gps antenna which can be found on ebay for like $15. if you want a camera you will need a lockpick device (also on ebay) and an aftermarket camera. i bought a junk camera from china and it has better resolution than the stock camera. (the stock camera is terrible) no need to pay the dealer, it is only 4 screws and the rest is just unplugging a wire and plugging in the new unit. it should not take you more than 15 minutes if you have no clue what you are doing..... once you know how to do it, it is a 2 minute job.

tri0829 06-24-2011 10:26 PM

i was asking myself this question too, im leaning more towards no navigation... my reasoning for this is that one my phone has a decent gps app that is more than i really need i dont usually drive in places that i dont know where to go and when i do i have my phone. my second reason for leaning towards no nav is that my parents commander has the nav radio and i swear they have probably used the gps maybe five times total, if you plan on using the maps and stuff its probably handy but for me i feel like $200 extra is not worth it when i already have it on my phone... but thats just my opinion buy what you think will suit your needs best

katie0010 06-24-2011 10:39 PM

I like the nav too because of the handsfree uconnect feature. Can I still do that if I get the mygig without the nav? That's really the main reason I want it. I use my gps every now and then and I love my little garmin.