Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Looking to add Hitch to 08 limited (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/looking-to-add-hitch-to-08-limited-24864.html)

crazylikeacharger 06-24-2011 07:44 PM

Looking to add Hitch to 08 limited

I am looking to add a hitch to my recently purchased 08 Grand Cherokee Limited. I have googled my options and i see there is plenty of different ones out there. I am looking to get a class 3

Basically my question comes down to this. Which is better or is there no real difference other than look, the style that requires the bumper to be cut/cleared for the receiver or the style that just stick below the bumper with no cutting required?

jas32 06-26-2011 05:57 PM

Re: Looking to add Hitch to 08 limited

I'm not an expert on this subject but I believe the biggest difference would be the reduction in departure angle since the hitch that hangs below the bumper (without the cutout) mounts about 2-3 inches lower. Otherwise in most cases the capacity of the hitch are the same.

NHWK05 06-26-2011 06:12 PM

The only benefit to the non jeep hitch is you don't need to cut the bumper and you may not need a drop bar for your tow ball. I have the OE hitch and for 99% of my towing I need a 6in drop. You want you ball to be 18in from ground to center of the ball after hooking up to the trailer. So with some trailers you might need a rise to your tow bar.

Personally I like the look of the OE hitch and added ground clearance. I'd rather use a drop bar then a riser bar.

Camaro614 06-26-2011 07:50 PM

I actually added a Jeep hitch to my 2007, the cutting isn't really that bad. When you take your bumper off there is a pattern already there, just don't get in a hurry being that you can't really fix a cutting mistake. There are also some holes that need drilled and some ovals that needs drilled/cut. Personally I like the factory style over a "u-haul" hitch. And I'm guessing you bought the trim kit for it also. And if you bought a factory harness kit you'll have to run it up to the engine bay and then have it activated at the dealership.

vwgtipowr 06-28-2011 12:26 PM

Does anyone know if there is a step by step instructions on this site for this procedure? I want to add a hitch too and I have been debatting the same thing as the OP.

I hate to have to go to dealership to have it activated or wired. What do they charge?

Crestwood1001 06-28-2011 03:57 PM

Just make sure you use an approiate drop for the trailer. A friend of mine was backing a trailer up his driveway and his truck died so we hooked it up to my jeep but the hitch is so high up the trailer dug into the ground alot

White Chocolate 06-28-2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 (Post 439026)
Just make sure you use an approiate drop for the trailer. A friend of mine was backing a trailer up his driveway and his truck died so we hooked it up to my jeep but the hitch is so high up the trailer dug into the ground alot

Yep....some people need to realize they have to have more then just one receiver

Crestwood1001 06-28-2011 10:05 PM

Well I have one of the receivers with three different sized balls on it for our trailers?

crazylikeacharger 06-28-2011 11:55 PM

i think the idea of different receivers is the fact you need varying drops or risers so you can have the tounge of the trailer at the best height for weight distribution

Camaro614 06-29-2011 04:15 PM

It was $20 to activate and install wasn't too technical.