Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   Clunking/swaying over bumps (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/clunking-swaying-over-bumps-24879.html)

2005 WK 06-25-2011 03:04 AM

Clunking/swaying over bumps

I cannot pinpoint this problem. I have changed my front sway bar links, front struts and strut mounts and still have the problem. If I drive over and bumps I feel like I'm losing control of the Jeep because it sways really bad, it feels like it doesn't want to stay planted on the ground and just feels like it goes all over. Along with the swaying it clunks. With any bump in the road I ride over, it clunks. I checked the upper and lower control arms and they seem tight. I also replaced the rack and pinion and both outer tie rod ends not to long ago. Im sick of just changing parts but not solving problems :mad: Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

05wkguy 06-25-2011 10:43 AM

Re: Clunking/swaying over bumps

It sounds like inner tie rods but i assume the new rack came with them??

I had the same problem when i put the lift on. Perfect before and clunking afterwards. Do you have it lifted?

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-25-2011 11:06 AM

mine started clunking when i had srt springs installed, i think my mechanic messed something up. i havent have a chance to go under and check it out yet.

2005 WK 06-25-2011 11:23 AM

The new rack came with new inner tie rods and the ride is a stock with no lift. This problem has existed the past year I have owned the Jeep but its only gotten worse with time.

JETLIFE 06-25-2011 11:33 AM

Maybe your front hub assemblies? Sounds like you've replaced everything but wheel bearings? I have no idea if that would happen though. I just replaced mine because they were whining pretty bad when I took the lift off and put my summer wheels back on.

2005 WK 06-25-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .moneen. (Post 437349)
Maybe your front hub assemblies? Sounds like you've replaced everything but wheel bearings? I have no idea if that would happen though. I just replaced mine because they were whining pretty bad when I took the lift off and put my summer wheels back on.

I know for sure its not the hub assembly, Ive had to change one of them before on my old car and they were completely different symptoms. Thanks for the advice tho

Djsal5 06-27-2011 11:48 AM

mine vehicle does this 2005 88 thousand i know precisely what you mean mine does the same thing it has a nice clunk and sways a little bit help us find the solution!

amw5 06-27-2011 12:01 PM

Check your control arm bushings...they may be toast. If they are torn at all, they need to be replaced. The clunk is the metal to metal sound of the sleeve to the housing of the bushing. I had this problem on my WJ and the bushings were worn out after 30K miles!?! That was prior to the lift, for I replaced them with johnny joints.

I hope that helps...it's worth looking into. The bushings are around $30.

Good luck...

2005 WK 04-07-2012 01:25 AM

So just in case anyone is interested I wanted to update this post. I replace my upper control arms and ball joints about a week ago and the ride has changed like night and day. I don't hear anymore clunking like before and it rides over bumps smooth without feeling like I'm losing control. Hopefully this was helpful to anyone having a problem like this.

Drew's'Z 04-15-2012 06:37 PM

Thanks for coming back with an update.

dsjr2006 07-10-2012 12:07 PM

Thank because I'm about to take everything apart. It's driving me nuts.

antsjeep 01-08-2013 04:31 PM

Good to know!! My brother has the same issues you have in his '06 WK Limited.

Im thinking about springing for a set of the JBA ones come this spring. I need an excuse to tear everything out anyways, i've been wanting to replace my lower spring isolators and upper strut mounts.