Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Exhaust Leak,Flutter,Ticking? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/exhaust-leak-flutter-ticking-24884.html)

JeepGuy026 06-25-2011 10:22 AM

Exhaust Leak,Flutter,Ticking?

Im at my wits end here trying to figure out what is causing this noise, it sounds to me like hemi tick but im not sure so i took a video which you can listen to and give me your insight. Now this Particular noise only happens during moderate acceleration, under light acceleration you dont hear this at all, and when going Wot you dont either. In Neutral and Park when i rev the engine it also doesnt make this noise. Now i was at the dealership and asked them to look into this noise which they acknowledged and stated that the cats had a low efficency and were going to replace them (NO CEL Light or Anything Just Thier Recommendation). They Replaced the Cats and the noise is more noticable than ever. IM trying to track down what this could be so i have taken a video which hopefully you can hear the flutter/tick i speak of. You cannot really hear this noise during driving on the passenger side only on the drivers side with the window open, and slightly when closed. :confused:

Also Replaced PCV Which didnt change a thing but good for the motor i guess.:thumbsup:

Just as an FYI at Around 10 Seconds i give it light throttle so you can hear the difference and then raise the RPMS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_PqMycVYxE

JeepGuy026 06-25-2011 10:25 AM

Re: Exhaust Leak,Flutter,Ticking?

PS: I was only able to simulate this by hold brake and giving it gas while in drive, also it does increase as i increase thottle.

mrtosh 06-25-2011 01:37 PM

How's the connection right behind the trans crossmember? That's pretty Mich a later fit, no gaskets or anything. I've also heard that on our hemis the pcv can cause that kind of fluttering tapping noise under load as it resonates back through the intake. Worse if you have a cai.

lll2for3lll 06-25-2011 04:04 PM

Could be exhaust leak. I'm leaking on both sides. It's going to cost $600 to replace both manifold gaskets.

If you do not currently have manifold gaskets leaks, I guess go outside and torque the bolts to prevent them from loosening up and braking. Do this periodically. Is this right?

remmy 06-25-2011 04:11 PM

Hmmm, def sounds like a leak...

But through the video and my sound system (Im using KEF Q80's with a fiber optic connection) It sounds like something is not firing right? But it just might be me being a crack head.

JeepGuy026 06-25-2011 04:12 PM

I just replaced the PCV with a new one from the dealer so i hope thats not it but i thought that too but it didnt change anything sound wise, and yes I do have a CAI, but it's kinda been there since i bought the truck. ever since the cats were changed the sound is louder than ever though so idk dealer said they would take another look and check to see if there's a crack in any of the manifolds, guess well see. But any advice you can give me I appreciate it thanx guys

JeepGuy026 06-25-2011 04:14 PM

I would love to tear down my Hemi and check the manifolds for a leak but it's really tight in there and wouldn't know where To start

remmy 06-25-2011 04:16 PM

Head gasket? Nah... you KNOW that.

JeepGuy026 06-25-2011 04:16 PM

Oh and I just changed my spark plugs at 36k so I hope they are firing right lol I also thought that something was misfiring but like I said she purrs like a kitten when in park and when under light load.

remmy 06-25-2011 04:54 PM

^ I was thinking that the motor wasnt firing right as well. Im sure it would throw a code. But, it wont hurt to run the motor and make sure by checking them.

JeepGuy026 06-25-2011 05:29 PM

How can I check that??

remmy 06-25-2011 06:17 PM

Pull each cable and check for a spark.