Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Wiring help? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/wiring-help-24887.html)

Martyp 06-25-2011 11:05 AM

Wiring help?

Before I go to an auto electrician, I was wondering if any of you guys would be able to help me out for what is a simple job really.

I finally caved in and bought the gen 3 projectors and have come up with a plan for the LEDs. I basically want to copy the new Audi R8 style where as soon as you switch the ignition on, the LEDs will come on (and stay on regardless of the other lights).

At the moment, no lights come on therefore I need to hunt one down.

So is there a wire near the front of the engine bay I can wire the LEDs into that gives 12V when the iginition is on and also goes off with the igintion? I have the WJ service manual but the wiring diagrams were beyond me. :o

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

cheapjeep 06-25-2011 02:42 PM

Re: Wiring help?

2 Attachment(s)
Marty the #85 terminal in the fuel pump relay socket of the power distribution center is 12v with the key in run only(See Dist 2 pdf).Now you could probably pull the relay,stick a small gauge wire in there,reinstall the relay and call it a day but a better way would be to unmount the box and tap into the actual wire from underneath(see pow dist pdf).Also you could go through the firewall to the fuse box but the pdc is right there next to the battery making a nice short run Good luck bud.

Martyp 06-25-2011 03:57 PM

Hmmmmm... I don't know if I'm brave enough to mess around in there TBH, I'd probably short something and the whole PDC would melt... :lol:

Thanks for the info, I will have a look at it to see if I can do it myself but at least I can tell the electrician exactly where to get a 12V supply from if its over my head.

I love this forum! :thumbsup:

JeepMe 06-25-2011 06:42 PM

I would use the fuel pump wire as well. But if you don't want to tap in there, there's an ignition wire for the radio that you could tap into.

TJXJWJ 06-25-2011 09:05 PM

I'm pretty sure you can run one from your cig lighter circuit too...it's a little far away, but if you don't want to tap into the fuel pump wiring, you could just run a lead from the back of your cig lighter, through the firewall, and into the engine compartment.

josef15111 06-26-2011 11:48 AM

You could just run one from a spare spot in your fuse panel. that way it is all fused an you wouldnt have to worry about something clipping th ewire and shortting out. just a thought

Martyp 06-26-2011 02:50 PM

Whilst painting my calipers today, I popped the hood and took a peek at the task in hand.

Looks a bit of a pain to access the wires in the PDC (requiring removal etc) but that is the ideal place for it to go, then it just means running a wire from right to left headlight which shouldn't be hard to hide.

There is a auto-electrician in the next cul-de-sac from me so will give him a shout to come and do it for me for an hours labour.

At least he will have all the right connectors, soldering iron, heatshrink etc, etc, to do it properly and safely. :thumbsup:

I will do the halos myself though, since thats a easy job and I already have the connectors ordered for it! :D