Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Will Brake Disks Rust? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/will-brake-disks-rust-24923.html)

Mlebout 06-25-2011 04:53 PM

Will Brake Disks Rust?

Was admiring the 20" rims today and thought the shiny disks looked good also. Does anyone know if the circumference of the disk (and calipers) will eventually rust or are they treated with something?

Thanks,

1200RT-P 06-25-2011 05:48 PM

Re: Will Brake Disks Rust?

under the right circumstances, almost all metal will rust. rotors will need to be replaced before they rust, unless the vehicle is sitting un-driven for YEARS.

mjw930 06-25-2011 06:14 PM

Wash the Jeep and don't move it after your done than come back in a couple hours and look at the disks. The rotors should have developed surface rust. All rotors do it to some degree or another. Absolutely nothing to worry about.

Red G8R 06-25-2011 07:42 PM

Unfortunately mine is showing rust. It looked painted new and I had my hopes up but the rears are rusting.

Also note, mine is 8 months old and been through a winter where they salt the roads.

Technosavant 06-25-2011 08:03 PM

The disc rotors are guaranteed to rust.

They're cast iron. With no finish. That means rust. Park a car for a few weeks and you'll see rust on the rotors. You see it a lot on new car lots; you get cars that have sat out there for weeks, and yes, rust spots form. On the braking surface they get polished off FAST by the pads. On the other parts of the rotor the rust isn't an issue. It is surface rust; it doesn't go all the way through. By the time it rusts through that much solid iron they need replacing anyway.

I've never once worried about rust on the brake parts. The only place it can be an issue is if the bolts and pins themselves get really corroded; then brake jobs get difficult (but again, you're talking about a 7 or so year old vehicle by this point anyway).

Mlebout 06-25-2011 09:16 PM

Thanks for the input. But, I was referring to the outside of the disk (not the part that the pad touches). It looks like there is a coating on it. Also, caliper almost looks like it is plated (bright silver color), from a distance. I guess I haven't seen new disks or calipers in a while.

Martyp 06-26-2011 05:32 AM

Ah, I know the part you mean. Nah, they aren't coated with anything and will rust also - I need to paint mine in the next few weeks.

I also replace all four of my calipers for new ones about a year ago and sadly the silver is fading away, not rusting but looks pretty poor. Looked great for about 6 moths though and can be painted also fairly easily too.

EDIT: R1 concepts sell rotors which are coated to prevent rusing in the premium range and I can confirm the do not rust one bit. Not sure if they do the WK2 yet, but would by the time the OEM ones need changing. :thumbsup:

Mlebout 06-26-2011 07:16 AM

Thinking with the spoked 20" rims the calipers will look bad, when they rust. Can anyone recommend a good paint for cast iron? Will probably try and paint the visible parts of the calipers. Could most likely paint them without taking the wheels off. I wonder what Brembo's painting process it??? Or are theirs cast iron?

Thanks,

4th Cherokee 06-26-2011 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mlebout (Post 437662)
Thinking with the spoked 20" rims the calipers will look bad, when they rust. Can anyone recommend a good paint for case iron? Will probably try and paint the visible parts of the calipers. Could most likely paint them without taking the wheels off. I wonder what Brembo's painting process it??? Or are theirs cast iron?

Thanks,

All aftermarket big brakes are powder coated aluminum, wish the whole brake industry would move in that direction

Deserthucker 06-27-2011 07:43 AM

just go carbon/ceramic rotors