Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   No more clunks and no more rear wheel ticking... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/no-more-clunks-and-no-more-rear-wheel-ticking-24957.html)

viking757 06-26-2011 03:02 PM

No more clunks and no more rear wheel ticking...

Yesterday I was able to identify and fix the notorious "clunk" from the front axle isolator bushings and also repair my rear driver side e brake shoes that occasionally were causing a mysterious tick noise at low speeds. The actual brake material had come off the metal shoes and were just bouncing around inside the rotor... But if it wasn't for this forum and the wealth of knowledge I think finding and isolating my problems would have taken a lot longer. So just saying thanks :D

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-26-2011 03:17 PM

Re: No more clunks and no more rear wheel ticking...

when were you getting the clunk in the front? turning? bumps?

JETLIFE 06-26-2011 03:19 PM

Is this clunk when going through PRND? Mine is so bad sometimes depending on the angle im parked. I was thinking about trying to fix it this week!

viking757 06-26-2011 06:28 PM

I would get the "clunk" in the front at very low speed tight turns and when shifting between park reverse and drive. I did the work on a lift and with a helping hand so it wasn't too hard just a little lengthy.

viking757 06-26-2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .moneen. (Post 437845)
Is this clunk when going through PRND? Mine is so bad sometimes depending on the angle im parked. I was thinking about trying to fix it this week!

http://i53.tinypic.com/of128p.jpg

Give it a shot...but before you rip anything apart take off the skidplate and see if its the 2 bushings on the differential #14(roughly $30 a piece from the stealer) or the bracket #6 ($100 from the stealer and the whole bracket assembly comes as one piece). The reason I say this is because #6 is back ordered to hell right now from jeep.

JETLIFE 06-26-2011 09:33 PM

Awesome, thanks for the exploded view i'm sure that will help out! How will I know if it's the 2 bushings? or the bracket?

viking757 06-26-2011 11:38 PM

Some of the bushings are in such bad shape you may just be able to see that the center has tore completely out from it. If that isn't the case just checks for cracks in them (A flashlight helps). The only tough one that will be hard to see without dropping the diff is the one on the top of the pumpkin. If the other 2 bushings look good then you know that one is the culprit. My suggestion is just grab 2 #14's and if you don't need one of them just return it.

JETLIFE 06-27-2011 12:43 AM

Yeah, but I'm also going to look for #6 too. Maybe it will be easier to find in Canada. Thanks for all the tips, I appreciate it! +rep for you!!

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-27-2011 12:29 PM

i am bad at finding stuff off diagrams sometimes, does anyone have pics of where these bushings are?

2005JGC 06-27-2011 01:04 PM

I have one in my tool box at work, if no one has supplied a picture by tomorrow evening ill get you a picture of it... its a round bushing with steel around it and a hollow steel tube through the middle for the mount bolt.

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-27-2011 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 438264)
I have one in my tool box at work, if no one has supplied a picture by tomorrow evening ill get you a picture of it... its a round bushing with steel around it and a hollow steel tube through the middle for the mount bolt.

thank you

viking757 06-27-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .moneen. (Post 438085)
Yeah, but I'm also going to look for #6 too. Maybe it will be easier to find in Canada. Thanks for all the tips, I appreciate it! +rep for you!!

No problem and thanks...if you have any questions feel free to ask :thumbsup: