Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Thinking about plastidip (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/thinking-about-plastidip-24967.html)

aquaanox 06-26-2011 07:35 PM

Thinking about plastidip

So, I bought an overland grille and am planning on plastidip ing the chrome bits. (vs. Body color).

Also while I'm at it, I'm thinking of doing the same on the interior center console silver trim pieces. That silver really sticks out - in your face cheap painted plastic on an otherwise nice interior. Anyone done this ? Thoughts ?

This stuff is removable - the only prob will be making sure I done paint the chrome edges.

jgc4ever 06-27-2011 12:24 AM

Re: Thinking about plastidip

What do you like about plastidip? It looks dull. I don't think it looks good at all.

Jeeters 06-27-2011 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquaanox (Post 437950)
...I'm thinking of doing the same on the interior center console silver trim pieces. That silver really sticks out - in your face cheap painted plastic on an otherwise nice interior.

I think plastidip will stick out even worse.

aquaanox 06-27-2011 07:10 AM

I think it will blend nicely since the radio gear etc is also all flat black. Anyway. Will try and see. The good thing about plastidip is that it's removable.

lweisenb 06-27-2011 08:38 AM

I posted on your other reply, vinyl is a much better solution. It's not much more expensive then the plastidip and much easier to apply and get a smooth finish if you take a time.

Jeeters 06-27-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquaanox (Post 438129)
Will try and see. The good thing about plastidip is that it's removable.

Be careful. Plastidip has solvents in it to keep it liquid in the can. Those solvents may hurt the plastic or the silver paint on the plastic.

MasterWK 06-27-2011 02:28 PM

Don't do it on any interior parts... Plastidip tends to get tacky and sticky, so lint and other things will be prone to sticking to it. It also just feels weird. So I'd go for the grill, but nothing else...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dunecrawler 06-27-2011 02:36 PM

Agree the vinyl is a better bet. Having said that, I would love to do something about the chrome strip on the tailgate. Just cant think of the right color with Dark Charcoal body

Jeeters 06-27-2011 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunecrawler (Post 438311)
... I would love to do something about the chrome strip on the tailgate. Just cant think of the right color with Dark Charcoal body

How about just a brushed metal look instead of the shiny chrome?

Dunecrawler 06-27-2011 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeters (Post 438317)
How about just a brushed metal look instead of the shiny chrome?

How?

DGoral31 06-27-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterWK (Post 438308)
Don't do it on any interior parts... Plastidip tends to get tacky and sticky, so lint and other things will be prone to sticking to it. It also just feels weird. So I'd go for the grill, but nothing else...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

x2.... i would never plasti dip anything that i am in contact with often. The surface is definitely durable and i personally like the "flat black" look but it also has a lot of friction on the surface. piece of dirt, dust, hair, etc will get stuck to it and even when you wipe it im sure piece of the towel will get stuck on it too... def wouldnt PD your interior parts... but hey, if you do... post pics!

lweisenb 06-27-2011 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunecrawler (Post 438311)
Agree the vinyl is a better bet. Having said that, I would love to do something about the chrome strip on the tailgate. Just cant think of the right color with Dark Charcoal body

Black or anthracite carbon fiber.