Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Upgrading a Leased Vehicle (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/upgrading-a-leased-vehicle-24999.html)

AquaForester 06-27-2011 05:25 PM

Upgrading a Leased Vehicle

Does anyone know with any certainty if I upgrade something on my leased WK2 will it be accepted at lease end or will I have to pay for the original. So for example if I upgrade my Laredo X wheels to Limited or Overland will that be accepted. I know already paying full value but I could deal with that.

nek121328 06-27-2011 05:42 PM

Re: Upgrading a Leased Vehicle

Depending on the upgrade, I doubt the dealer employee will even notice the change.

Technojeep 06-27-2011 06:48 PM

They will definitely accept it if you are upgrading. Downgrading would be a different issue. For example upgrading to 20" rims from 18 wouldnt be a problem. Going the other way would as the 20s are more expensive.

1BAMFR 06-27-2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technojeep (Post 438414)
They will definitely accept it if you are upgrading. Downgrading would be a different issue. For example upgrading to 20" rims from 18 wouldnt be a problem. Going the other way would as the 20s are more expensive.

If the 20" rims are bling blingy, chrome, ugly as balls the dealer would probably ask if you could put the stockers back on I'm sure!

1200RT-P 06-27-2011 09:47 PM

Leasing company CAN ding you for modifications that alter stock delivery equipment. Lease inspector will probably not even notice having OE (higher package) wheels on the car. Obvious aftermarket wheels will be a problem.

Having leased many vehicles, and heavily modified some of my leases - buy OE overland or limited wheels, save the stock ones and put back on at lease return. Sell the upgraded ones. My modified leases have been returned to more-or-less stock form and I've gotten decent money back for part outs. Some small changes - (all original from higher package vehicles) - headlights, headlight switches, tail light assemblies, wheels, etc - have been left on the car without the notice of the lease inspector.

Finally, (bearing in mind that i've never leased from ally before) - lease inspection normally takes place by an outside company, contracted by the leasing bank - their technicians are rarely very well trained on the actual OE equipment of a vehicle. Keep in mind that the jeep DEALER itself will most likely have nothing to do with a lease return/inspection, other than acting as a drop off point, incorrectly suggested above.

NHman 06-28-2011 05:50 AM

I agree with 1200RT's statements. If you really want the 20" rims/tires save the factory setup and switch back before turning in the vehicle. Remember, when returning the vehicle the tires must have a certain level of rubber remaining.

I suspect there will be a market for the 20" Overland factory rims should you want to sell them after the lease expires.

I have also had a fair amount of leased vehicles but have historically sold them prior to lease termination. Thus I've been fortunate in not dealing with the turn-in process.

Regards,
NHman

AquaForester 06-28-2011 07:17 AM

Thanks alot for the info all. That makes alot of sense about putting the old rims back on and getting some cash back on the upgrade. For some reason I can't get used to the stock X Rims. 1200 did you do anything with yours?

1200RT-P 06-28-2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaForester (Post 438740)
Thanks alot for the info all. That makes alot of sense about putting the old rims back on and getting some cash back on the upgrade. For some reason I can't get used to the stock X Rims. 1200 did you do anything with yours?

Mine still has the stock wheels/tires. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep them or not.

Paul Y. 07-29-2011 03:10 PM

They look for dings and scratches mainly. Do they even know what the stock equipment is suppose to be? I doubt it.