Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Wheels/Tires/Brakes (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f199/)
-   -   Caliper replacement (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f199/caliper-replacement-25024.html)

TJXJWJ 06-28-2011 07:57 AM

Caliper replacement

So...I think I've got a sticking or "lazy" driver's front caliper. I've got the Akeboners. I got replacements yesterday (both fronts) and plan on hitting it when I get home from work tonight. On the way home, I'm picking up a new pair of flex lines just for good measure. Anything special here? Is it really as simple as it appears? The new calipers from Napa came with the bracket, new bolts, stainless pad slides, and copper washers for the banjo bolt.

Any guidance or heads up would be appreciated! :thumbsup:

01grand 06-28-2011 12:01 PM

Re: Caliper replacement

Should be that simple, unbolt the calipers, undo the brake line, bolt the new ones in place and bleed them til they stop bubbling. Of course things do have a habit of not always going as simply as they should.....lol Good luck!

JeepMe 06-28-2011 12:04 PM

It's really as simple as it seems. Remove the two bolts holding the caliper in place. Use a clamp to squeeze the piston into the caliper (so it's easy to remove from the rotor). Remove bolt holding brake line to caliper. Remove caliper. Make sure you install the new copper washers and reassemble. Then bleed the brakes.

The only things I would say are note worthy is to make sure you have fluid in the brake reservoir so you don't draw air into the MC. I also filled the calipers with as much fluid as I could before installing them (just to make bleeding them faster).

mon_21 06-28-2011 12:07 PM

Paint it too..........LoL!

TJXJWJ 06-28-2011 12:15 PM

Thanks everyone! MON21, believe it or not, the Napa ones already come painted gloss black...I was shocked.

If I'm not having a beer by 7pm, I'm blaming you guys..heheheh

mon_21 06-28-2011 12:18 PM

Drink 1st before you do it, that way you cant blame us...hahaha...

Thats awesome that it came painted already, save you a lot of time!
Have fun with the install!

soontobesrt 06-28-2011 07:55 PM

Nice pickup man! Ive found Napa parts have just been getting better and better over time. Maybe its just by me or who knows what the heck is up but they always seem to have just what I need at the best prices, even better than online. Maybe Im losing it but you gotta give props to Napa, painted calipers whoda thunk it?

mrjaydeeone 06-28-2011 09:19 PM

seemed pretty simple a few months ago when mine got done. I got them from Napa also, along with new rotors all the way around. A neighbor got me a sick deal from them. The only issue we came into with mine was one of the rotors wouldn't come off and ended up breaking LOL. As far as them being black a few months later they are still holding up fine. The centers of the rotors were black also, and those don't look that great LOL

TJXJWJ 06-28-2011 09:49 PM

Well, this was one of those rare instances where it really was as easy as it looked. I've got 2 new front calipers on...no issues. I didn't get to have my beer until 8 because I had to wait for my wife to help with the bleeding, and I had to take it out for a test drive, but I won't blame you guys for the delay...hehehe.

Thanks everyone for the input! We'll see how long this black paint job holds up. Something tells me I'll be painting them next spring, but I can't complain.

Napa and Summit are really the only places I'll go for hard parts. They always seem to have what I need or can get it by the end of the day if I call early, and I've never had an issue with a Napa part. Can't say the same about Autozone or Advance.

01grand 06-28-2011 10:15 PM

Glad you got it done and fast! Had a similar experience doing my rear calipers, except O'reillys didnt have painted ones....

janibeans 06-30-2011 01:21 PM

I don't know why everyone waits around for someone to bleed brakes/clutch lines/etc. When I had my miata, I just used a 5' long walking stick I had sitting around. Or a broom handle. Worked great with one end on the pedal, one end shoved into the seat.

uniquetreatone 06-30-2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janibeans (Post 440012)
I don't know why everyone waits around for someone to bleed brakes/clutch lines/etc. When I had my miata, I just used a 5' long walking stick I had sitting around. Or a broom handle. Worked great with one end on the pedal, one end shoved into the seat.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that uses that kind of concoction except mines is the long arm attachment from a hoover vacuum & a shoe box...lol