Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   V6 Drag Question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/v6-drag-question-25042.html)

dslide 06-28-2011 03:25 PM

V6 Drag Question

I'm far from an engine/ transmission expert, so I'd appreciate any input on the following...

Driving at any speed my GC never seems to "coast". Whether I'm doing 20mph or 60mph, after acceleration I can feel the transmission slowing my vehicle a bit as soon as my foot comes off the pedal- as if it always need to be in a higher gear. I'm also not seeing the estimated mpg that is advertised and wonder if something is up with my transmission? Anybody else have this concern? Thanks.

RageOfFury 06-28-2011 03:39 PM

Re: V6 Drag Question

V6 or V8?

If you have the V6, have the following service bulletin performed :

http://wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_1801211a.pdf

This helped with the excessive engine/tranny braking. It also improves the driveability and transmission shifting.

Cherodude 06-28-2011 06:47 PM

In the V6, mine coasts on and on in 5th or 4th gear. If I want even moderate engine braking from over 50mph (80kph), I have to downshift to 3rd gear. Not complaining; I like it this way.

soontobesrt 06-28-2011 08:00 PM

I want to say the simple and obvious answer that at those speeds combined with this things un-aerodynamic design (SUVs are bricks, they just sit so high and have high arching lines, even a slammed SRT sucks on the highway :(, its just wind resistance you are feeling but normal you can tell if its that. When coasting on flat ground you will inevitably slow though because of the wind alone BUT if it feels like its dragging and you can feel the driveline pulling (check for vibration in pedal/shift assembly etc) or you see rpms holding steady or doing anything besides dropping when off the pedal you may having trans issue as described above. So yeah Id suggest you check the rpms, when coasting they should fall as vehicle and engine speed fall all keeping in the same gear of course, if not, look into any TSB's or have dealer take her for ride/plug her in etc.

dslide 06-28-2011 11:04 PM

Thanks all for the input- and rageoffury thanks for the info on the service update. I really think something needs to be tweaked by my dealer and I'm going to ask about this specific update. What concerns me a bit is that I had to take the jeep back to the dealer shortly after purchase because the Sirius wasn't loading properly and the service manager told me there were not any updates needed for my vehicle. Maybe he was just checking the audio/nav system... I don't know, but hopefully something can be done. Thanks again.

RageOfFury 06-29-2011 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dslide (Post 439256)
Thanks all for the input- and rageoffury thanks for the info on the service update. I really think something needs to be tweaked by my dealer and I'm going to ask about this specific update. What concerns me a bit is that I had to take the jeep back to the dealer shortly after purchase because the Sirius wasn't loading properly and the service manager told me there were not any updates needed for my vehicle. Maybe he was just checking the audio/nav system... I don't know, but hopefully something can be done. Thanks again.

That service bulletin isn't mandatory. The dealer won't do it if you don't ask them too. Here is what you do. Print out that bulletin, highlite the symptoms that you are having and then show them the bulletin and show them the highlited symptoms. Then they will do it.

1200RT-P 06-29-2011 10:39 AM

I have a similar "complaint" with my V8. Feels like engine breaking is being engaged the second I take my foot off of the gas. I think its just the weight and drag of the vehicle.

IndyBob 06-30-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dslide (Post 439003)
I'm far from an engine/ transmission expert, so I'd appreciate any input on the following...

Driving at any speed my GC never seems to "coast". Whether I'm doing 20mph or 60mph, after acceleration I can feel the transmission slowing my vehicle a bit as soon as my foot comes off the pedal- as if it always need to be in a higher gear. I'm also not seeing the estimated mpg that is advertised and wonder if something is up with my transmission? Anybody else have this concern? Thanks.

Same thing here with my V6. It is very noticeable almost to the point throwing you forward a little as it slows down when you let off the gas.

I have a drives side seat back that needs fixed so I will add this complaint also. Reading the service bulletin referenced looks like maybe C and D may be it.