Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Rubbing or Moaning sound when braking (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/rubbing-or-moaning-sound-when-braking-25066.html)

jeepin4ever 06-29-2011 08:07 AM

Rubbing or Moaning sound when braking

I recently had the transmission update on my V6 Overland 4wd. Now, when coming to a slow stop I get a slight rubbing or moaning sound. If I stop harder, there is no noise. And it only does it when I'm in drive. Any ideas? I just had the car in for an oil change and tire rotation and for the transmission update. I don't want to bring it back in.

ColdCase 06-29-2011 08:28 AM

Re: Rubbing or Moaning sound when braking

Could it be the engine braking you are feeling. I think the flash adjusted how that works.

Otherwise the transmission may just be taking awhile to re-learn, but I dunno, just speculating.

jeepin4ever 06-29-2011 09:01 AM

There's definitely a noise. I have driven it a few hundred miles over the weekend. I'll see if it goes away. It's just an odd sound. Anyone else have any insight?

jeepin4ever 06-30-2011 07:51 AM

Upon further investigation, the car only does it at around 5mph when in drive. It's a weird rubbing/whirring/groaning noise. Anyone have any ideas

jp467 06-30-2011 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepin4ever (Post 439885)
Upon further investigation, the car only does it at around 5mph when in drive. It's a weird rubbing/whirring/groaning noise. Anyone have any ideas

I had this exact problem when I had my 2011 Limited. It's when rolling at about 5 mph and only happens at that speed correct? It spent a month in the shop and chrysler sent engineers out to help figure out the problem. After replacing everything in the rear end they determined it was the Tranfer case. After replacing the Tranfer case the noise was gone. Shortly after this I got rid of it for a 5.7 Overland.

jeepin4ever 06-30-2011 10:50 AM

That's correct it is ONLY at 5mph. If it's the transfer case, i'm not going to be happy.

jp467 06-30-2011 03:43 PM

Mine would do it just at 5 mph when rolling if I would notice it a lot when stuck in traffic where it is stop and go. If I slowed down fast or stepped at the gas it would not do it. The noise sounded like it was coming from the rear. So they replaced the rear diff drive shafts and the rear brakes and wheel bearings. After none of this resolved it they had chrysler engineer out and they determined it was in the transfer case and the noise was being transmitted to the rear via the drive shaft. Replacing the transfer case resolved the issue. It was a very strange almost metallic rubbing noise, but it was only at that speed under those conditions.

jeepin4ever 06-30-2011 05:13 PM

Yes, it sounds just like my problem. I'm becoming very disappointed in my jeep. This is the third issue I've had with it in less than a year. Should I be worried about the installation of the transfer case and issues with the 4wd down the road?? Anyone give me any insight on that?

JETLIFE 06-30-2011 05:19 PM

I feel bad for all you WK2 guys, they seem to be RIDDLED with problems, good thing you have warranty!

jp467 06-30-2011 06:55 PM

When I got it back from the tranfer case replacement the noise was gone, but two days later I had a vibration in the drivetrain when I would accelerate from a stop. This was another week in the shop waiting for new drive shafts for the second time. After I got it back from that and everything seemed ok. Two weeks later I got rid of it, there was no way I was keeping a vehicle that had been torn apart like that several times trying to find the issue. I was not real happy with the v-6 anyway. I traded for a 5.7 overland in . I know my first one was a sept build when was yours built?

jeepin4ever 07-05-2011 07:31 AM

I have a November build.

jeepin4ever 07-08-2011 08:41 AM

Jeep dealer said it's the emergency brakes. They are corroded from all the rain in the Northeast and since I don't regularly use it condensation has gotten in there. He said to use the E-brake more frequently. I will try this and see what happens. He said the tolerances are much more minimal than in previous jeeps and they had the same issue with the Rams. I guess time will tell.