Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   Tires!!??? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/tires-25072.html)

Drewbrewsky 06-29-2011 10:37 AM

Tires!!???

So i got a nail in my tire today... Thinking its time for some new tires anyways. Any suggestions?? I currently have 245/65/17 gy fortera on there now, about 50% of tread left.

JDubya 06-29-2011 11:52 AM

Re: Tires!!???

We need more info. What are your plans for the Jeep? Is it purely street driven? Trails? Rocks? Lift?

Drewbrewsky 06-29-2011 12:08 PM

I do alot of camping/ fishing so i do occasionaly get on trails. Something capable is all i need.

thex2 06-29-2011 01:18 PM

Your tires can survive a nail as long as it's more than an inch away from the sidewall. Bring it in and have it patched. With 50% tread left, there's plenty of life left in those tires.

However, if you're looking for new tires because you're generally unhappy with your old, I'd recommend the Michelin LTX M/S 245/65/17's. They'll last you 100,000+ miles assuming you aren't too aggressive of a driver. They're extremely luxurious (IE: smooth, quiet, etc...) and they do well offroad. Not sure about ice, but I'm not sure how important that is for ya. If you go with this option, I'd also recommend selling your old tires on craigslist. I sold my old tires on there and got way more than I should have. I listed the price high assuming they'd negotiate it down and they never did :)

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-29-2011 01:18 PM

firestone destination AT FTMFW

JeepCoop 06-29-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 439486)
firestone destination AT FTMFW

Yup tis what I got and I love them! Great in EVERY type of weather... I 4x my Jeep A LOT and they have held up amazingly! Got 10k miles on them and still in perfect condition. I ran 255/70/17 on stock suspension w no problems (slight rub) Since then I have lifted the Jeep 2 inches and am still loving the tires! Oh and not to forget to mention that all 4 were $500 out the door! :thumbsup:

JCFiredog 07-09-2011 08:23 PM

I will go ahead and toss my two penny's in.... I went with the Nitto Terra Grappler, size 265/70/17!! This is a big tire! Had to go with a 3/16 spacer and had to cut the bolt. It looks phenominal! I think it rides better, probably from the taller sidewall and the slightly lower air pressure. They are audible at speed but really nothing the radio cannot mask. I love em! I hit a mud hole and they hooked like I was on dry land. Not sure of the mileage but I got them at discount auto and they were only 145 each. Most of my miles are online and light offroad I cant wait for winter and another 18-20 snow to try them out! A little lift is in the future when I get some money though.

thex2 07-09-2011 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCFiredog (Post 444832)
I will go ahead and toss my two penny's in.... I went with the Nitto Terra Grappler, size 265/70/17!! This is a big tire! Had to go with a 3/16 spacer and had to cut the bolt. It looks phenominal! I think it rides better, probably from the taller sidewall and the slightly lower air pressure. They are audible at speed but really nothing the radio cannot mask. I love em! I hit a mud hole and they hooked like I was on dry land. Not sure of the mileage but I got them at discount auto and they were only 145 each. Most of my miles are online and light offroad I cant wait for winter and another 18-20 snow to try them out! A little lift is in the future when I get some money though.

The Nitto Terra Grappler's are a badass tire. It's the only tire I'll ever consider if I ever get more involved with off roading. Till then, I'ma enjoy my Michelins. But nice recommendation :thumbsup:

One thing I'd like to add to your recommendation on that tire... those tires have a very high tread wear rating and last a very long time.

antsjeep 07-10-2011 08:18 AM

thats a good price for those. what did you pay for mount/balance?

05WK 07-10-2011 10:47 AM

This isn't a tire recommendation, but a price recommendation. Most tire places will price match/beat, so go to Www.tirerack.com and find your tires, then print out the page and take it with you to the discount tire, NTB, etc... And they should match the price. Saved me ~$40 a tire on my GY wranglers.

Walt 07-10-2011 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewbrewsky (Post 439409)
... Thinking its time for some new tires anyways. Any suggestions?? I currently have 245/65/17 gy fortera on there now...

Not overly thrilled with Goodyear Fortera TripleTreds (same size as OEM). They are OK, but I think you can do better for the same $$.

If I were buying tires today, it would probably be Michelin Cross Terrain M&S or Bridgestone Revo's. I've never had a problem with Michelin tires (starting in 1967).

CAUTION: This opinion may be worth what you paid to get it. :brows:

JCFiredog 07-11-2011 12:51 AM

I had to pay a little extra for my install because I had to get the spacers and pay for their expensive time to cut the bolts. Then mount and balance were I think $28 per tire and includes disposal. I still need to have at least one rebalanced, I had planned for that since they are notorious for being a little difficult to get the balance right. So far they have been incredible. Wish I had the ability to just pull the wheels off and cut the bolt myself. Could have saved me the tire shops "test fit" fee..