Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Overland with 450 miles- AC dies... Ruge's to the rescue! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/overland-with-450-miles-ac-dies-ruges-to-the-rescue-25193.html)

towtruckted 07-01-2011 01:27 PM

Overland with 450 miles- AC dies... Ruge's to the rescue!

On a trip with the family about hundred miles from home, and with less than 500 miles on the odometer, the AC suddenly stops blowing air. The fan is running full blast and the seat cooler is working but little or no air from the vents. I call the nearest dealer(Ruge's of Rhinebeck NY) and they say to come in.
The service manager Anthony Depaolo, explained it was lunch time but said he would work on it himself! He found codes that showed there was a communication failure but it doesn't explain why. He did not clear the codes inorder to maintain a record of what happened, should it happen again.
Suddenly, the AC began working perfectly, and has worked well since Tuesday.

I would like to thank Tony Depaolo of Ruge's for his emergency help on a busy day during his lunch break :thumbsup: BTW, I did not buy the vehicle from them as they are not close to me.

HammFist 07-01-2011 04:15 PM

Re: Overland with 450 miles- AC dies... Ruge's to the rescue!

So a "communication failure" kept the AC from running? I hope he was just making something up after he couldn't duplicate the problem. If not, I guess we might have to "reboot" occasionally (disconnect the battery) just to keep everything running. Scary.

GTOGreg 07-02-2011 04:23 AM

I think I read that the new TSB addresses this. Do you have the 5.7?

towtruckted 07-02-2011 06:02 AM

Sorry, I have the V6.
The problem was duplicated. When I pulled into the dealership the AC was running but not exiting out through the vents. The service manager explained that a "door" was probably not opening to release the cold air through the vents.
So far so good. If it acts up again, I'll bring it to the local dealer.

HammFist 07-02-2011 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by towtruckted (Post 441019)
The problem was duplicated. When I pulled into the dealership the AC was running but not exiting out through the vents. The service manager explained that a "door" was probably not opening to release the cold air throuh the vents.

So the AC was running, but the diverter flaps that send the air to the vents apparently weren't opening or closing properly due to something electronic. A little spooky.

towtruckted 07-02-2011 09:01 AM

Spooky and quite warm!

towtruckted 07-06-2011 09:19 PM

Update: The service manger at Ruge's Jeep, Anthony Depaolo, called me today to ask how the AC was working- I told him it was fine. I really appreciate his follow up in the matter. His one call put a smile on my face.
Thank you Tony!!!

GCOverland 07-10-2011 10:43 PM

My Uncle owns a Limited and his AC died as well...:(