Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Visual Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/)
-   -   Roof Racks (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/roof-racks-25201.html)

JEden8 07-01-2011 04:56 PM

Roof Racks

So I currently don't have a setup for a roof rack but am curious to getting one. What's the best way to go if I am starting with nothing?

JETLIFE 07-01-2011 05:01 PM

Re: Roof Racks

Well it depends on what you want, roof basket? Factory cross rails? Mopar cross rails?

Do you have the rails atleast?

lll2for3lll 07-01-2011 05:40 PM

Member Gratefuldead has the whole setup for sell. Cheap too.

JEden8 07-01-2011 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .moneen. (Post 440782)
Well it depends on what you want, roof basket? Factory cross rails? Mopar cross rails?

Do you have the rails atleast?

It would be used for multiple things. Bike rack, kayak rack, ski/snowboard, and possibly roof basket. No I do not have the rails.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lll2for3lll (Post 440797)
Member Gratefuldead has the whole setup for sell. Cheap too.

I saw that but I can get a whole brand new set for less than what he's asking for his. Just trying to see if it's worth investing into a factory setup or buying something aftermarket like a Yakima rack setup.

lll2for3lll 07-01-2011 08:04 PM

Post and make a deal with him. You know how long he's been trying to sell that chit????

Like....forever.

JEden8 07-02-2011 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lll2for3lll (Post 440865)
Post and make a deal with him. You know how long he's been trying to sell that chit????

Like....forever.

lol but that still doesn't answer my question. Is it better to go with a factory setup or an aftermarket?

lll2for3lll 07-02-2011 08:53 AM

Factory for side rails.

Factory or aftermarket for cross bars.

dan-the-man 04-13-2014 08:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just installed Mopar aftermarket bars on my 2014 Grand Cherokee, and am happy with my decision. (1) they are the aero type bars like manufactured by Thule. (Like little airplane wings). So they are not noisy. (2) the bars for the grand Cherokee are not the same length, the rear bar is about 3/4" shorter than the front bar. Sure bars of the same length would work, but the custom fit is nice. I like the look. I tried my Thule box out on them, and it works great. I have ordered the Mopar, branded version of the Thule bigMouth roof top bike rack. Why not get the rack directly from Thule one might ask? Going to the dealership to order, then to pick up,while waiting a week for them to be delivered is a chore compared to being delivered to your home. But, believer it or not,they are cheaper through the dealer. All the online prices from Thule and other retailers were about $169 each, while the dealer price is $120. Go figure. Attachment 38158

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage
Dan-the-man

dan-the-man 04-27-2014 08:08 AM

Big mouth bike rack was easy to install, and works great. And, as previously reported, buying through the dealer was about $60 less than anywhere else.

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage
Dan-the-man

PilotProgram 04-27-2014 08:34 AM

Dan,
How do you like the noise on the roof rack you got? it seems the aero type bars are way quieter, but i wanted to get your take on it. Thanks!

dan-the-man 04-27-2014 09:46 AM

The Mopar bars are aero type and they are quiet I had the square type bars on the earlier Cherokee and there's a noticeable difference. Of course adding the bike rack and a bike create a little noise

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

PilotProgram 04-27-2014 10:08 AM

I apologize if it was earlier in the thread, but how much for the whole system including fittings? I found some (seemingly) decent ones on amazon for around $150 which i didn't think was too bad.