Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   They Killed My PCM ! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/they-killed-my-pcm-25205.html)

jwernatl 07-01-2011 06:47 PM

They Killed My PCM !

Hey guys -

I went to the dealer this morning to have my PCM reflashed - 2005 Grand Cherokee 5.7 HEMI AWD- 64Kmiles on it.

I took it in to mainly to get rid of the 'Service 4wd System' eronious message that we're all so familar with- Oh & all the other TSB issues.

Well, I'm sitting there @ the dealer and - two hours later - She tells me they burned my PCM up. Gone - poof - Outta here.

I dont know at this point but she tells me it's under warranty 8years 80kmiles. -

Will I be better off with a new one??? I guess it will have all the updates hungh?

I was told from a fiend, that used to work at a Chrysler dealership, that it will be a remanufatured PCM and the dealer will have to load it up. Because it's deliverd empty.

I'm a little discouraged should I be?

jlewissystem 07-01-2011 06:55 PM

Re: They Killed My PCM !

Even if it weren't covered by warranty, i'd want the dealer to replace it for free. It worked before you when in - know what I mean? As always, kinda crappy on the refurb, but as long as they install/update it for free and it works (all in a decent turn-around time) F it...

Escape 07-01-2011 08:15 PM

Insist on a complete rebuilt one.

A refurbished one is just someone elses junk that blew up and they replaced just the bad parts. It's what they will do with your old one.

A rebuilt one is completely disassembled and rebuilt with all new parts.

lll2for3lll 07-01-2011 08:20 PM

Smh

crazylikeacharger 07-01-2011 08:24 PM

dealerships have accounts set up to cover them breaking something like this. I would definately make sure you are getting at least an equivilant part or a newer one

Chaoul1 07-01-2011 09:49 PM

Wow, I wish they found out why it was doing that. I have the damn "Service 4WD System" every other time I start my Jeep.

jwernatl 07-01-2011 11:55 PM

Here ya go. That's the main reason I was there. In order to get it to go away You have to go to the dealer and have them flash the PCM. It's a TSB...

http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_2101406a.pdf

lots of info on the tsb and good stuff if search 'Service 4WD System' on this site.

Chaoul1 07-02-2011 12:05 AM

Oh I know that they have to reflash it. They said it would cost me $125 since I'm way over warranty haha.

2005JGC 07-02-2011 12:24 AM

If a flash stops mid way it can kill the pcm, put it in a state where it doesnt have complete software written to it and it cannot properly clear and restart. If the flash failed, due to low battery voltage, an poor wireless network (witech is wireless) are just some things that can cause this, and sometimes they just fail. I have had a sunroof module refuse to flash, for no reason, it failed half way through the first flash for no reason then would not finish after that. That got a new sunroof module.

All that to say, it was likely not foul play, they were not pounding on it with hammers or playing soccer with it, it was just crap that can and occationally does happen.

Walt 07-02-2011 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwernatl (Post 440838)
Hey guys -

I went to the dealer this morning to have my PCM reflashed - 2005 Grand Cherokee 5.7 HEMI AWD- 64Kmiles on it.

I took it in to mainly to get rid of the 'Service 4wd System' eronious message that we're all so familar with- Oh & all the other TSB issues.

Well, I'm sitting there @ the dealer and - two hours later - She tells me they burned my PCM up. Gone - poof - Outta here.

I dont know at this point but she tells me it's under warranty 8years 80kmiles. -

Will I be better off with a new one??? I guess it will have all the updates hungh?

I was told from a fiend, that used to work at a Chrysler dealership, that it will be a remanufatured PCM and the dealer will have to load it up. Because it's deliverd empty.

I'm a little discouraged should I be?

Service Manager told me that the PCM's fit several Chrysler platforms, so they come in with no programming. Dealer enters your VIN and the appropriate programs are downloaded through StarScan, at the latest revision level. BTW: Once a program is loaded at the latest revision level, you cannot go back.
Not sure whether they are obligated to use a new or can use a refurbished replacement in your case. In either case, your original warranty should remain in force. Find it in writing, or you write it on the service order and have the General Manager (or Owner) sign & date it as acknowledgment. Service writer or Service Manager might not have the authority to commit to this. [If warranty is already there, the added statement will not affect them anyway.]

Now the coup de grace: Because they have to do this anyway and the latest revisions are downloaded, there should be no charge to you for the update flash. Chrysler's terminology: Customer goodwill.

I wish you the best. :D

Cascade159 07-09-2011 10:10 PM

Took my 05 Hemi in for the flash update as I was getting the Service 4WD System message. It's back one day later. There were no DTC's. It was covered under warrantee. Guess I will be taking it back in again. The vehicle has 61,300 on it. This appears to be a rather annoying issue.

jwernatl 07-15-2011 05:06 PM

I wanted to update everyone.I found out the dealer I was at that burned my PCM wasnt a real Dealer. They lied. They were not a liscesed Chrysler dealer. They used to be. SO after they burned my PCM up I towed it to a real Dealer! They got my PCM to come back without having to replace it. I dont know how, but they did. I drove it like that for a week or so.

I went back in Wednesday for them to get rid of the 'service 4wd system'. They told me the eroneous message was gone, as earlier it was. When they were bringing my Jeep around the message came back on. They refunded my $. Now I dont know what they are going to do.

Think about it. I cant sell or trade the Jeep like that. Not that I want to, I love my jeep. My wife loves her '08 - Is what it is ya know.

The thing about it, I like the dealership. They have been nice at every step. Everytime I' have ever gone to the Dealer they have always taken care of me. If you think about it, all they want is fix my JEEP. I've never known them to take advantage of me. I've had a few private garages try and take my money. Maybe it's just me. I dont know what they are going to do. We'll find out on Monday.