Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Rear diff whine.... I think... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/rear-diff-whine-i-think-25223.html)

mrmotoguzzi00 07-02-2011 10:13 AM

Rear diff whine.... I think...

A month or so ago i had it lowered with the stock srt springs, this is a 06 limited 5.7 hemi.

A month after that the rear diff seal where the drive shaft connects started leaking... could that because it's at a different angle since it's been lowered ? i've got 120k the jeep...

so we change the seal and i have them replace all the diff fluids. they are aware of all the "special" fluids....

a week later i start to get a whine .....

it starts at about 10mph, it doesn't change with the gear shifts and it doesn't change if i put in neutral at say 30 mph...

i'd say that clears the tranny and it is definitly coming from behind me...
so seems like the rear diff...

this normal after lowering with 100k plus miles ?

4.whoa 07-03-2011 03:56 PM

Re: Rear diff whine.... I think...

I lowered mine @over 115k. I used wk Eibachs which are almost the same as stock srt8 springs, and I havent had any whine from mine. the very slight difference in driveshaft angle would -if anything- cause a vibration rather then a whine.
I suppose that it could be the seal for the pinion, or maybe they did something when changing it to slightly change the contact of the ring & pinion ...that might cause it to whine.

JETLIFE 07-04-2011 06:19 AM

Wheel bearing.

lll2for3lll 07-04-2011 06:25 AM

Is it a whine or a hum? Like vibrating metal?

Drew 07-04-2011 07:59 AM

Whine from the rear typically changes with throttle position. (on/off/coast). On my TJ I had a rear go out and the whine was very noticeable but went away while coasting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xj31 07-04-2011 08:16 AM

I hope for your sake that whoever changed the seal didn't overtighten the pinion nut.
That's a quick and easy way to destroy the pinion bearings.

JETLIFE 07-05-2011 02:04 AM

I still think its a hub assembly. If you haven't replaced them by now with 120,000 miles then it wouldn't be uncommon for them to go. Could be both sides too. When mine went (Just after I installed lowering springs btw) I really thought it was my front diff, try getting up to about 30mph and steer back and forth, if it's a wheel bearing transferring the weight of the Jeep off of the bearing will change the hum/whine.

mrmotoguzzi00 07-05-2011 03:29 PM

sorry for the late reply... been out of state white water rafting ;) the jeep goes in thursday to investigate.... after 500 miles the whine is still there, wife thinks it's the drive side... we'll see....

JETLIFE 07-05-2011 10:23 PM

let us know how it turns out!

mrmotoguzzi00 07-24-2011 08:55 PM

Not good......... we took the rear diff apart, all seems fine... put it back together we still have whine....... only thing we found is the inside of the passenger rear rim is slightly bent... guessing something is slightly ascue back their as a result ?...... mechanic admitted he used lucas oil instead of the factory oil in the diffs, we put factory oil in their now. Not difference.............

Z28jeep 03-01-2012 11:03 AM

I know this is a old post, but Ever figure out what was causing the whine?

lll2for3lll 03-01-2012 12:27 PM

Mine is bad u-joints on the driveline. I'm going to have a custom driveline built depending on price.