Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Headlight help needed (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/headlight-help-needed-25243.html)

infantry2124 07-03-2011 02:05 AM

Headlight help needed

1 Attachment(s)
I started pulling my lights today to start my quad projector retrofit. I got the passenger headlight out quick no problem but the drivers side is giving me trouble. Was anybody able to pull the headlight without taking off the front bumper? How did you get the screw by the coolant reservoir. Really don't want to pull the whole bumper but that's looking what I might have to do

lll2for3lll 07-03-2011 03:06 AM

Re: Headlight help needed

Just pull the bumper off. The passenger headlight always come out easy without pulling the bumper off but you're not getting the driver side out with the bumper on. You're just making the process harder and longer.

As for the rivets inside the wheel wells, I've been driving around without them since my retrofit because I'm going to take the bumper off again for more work. So if you don't have rivets, it's ok to drive around without them for a while.

GR33N D3M0N 07-03-2011 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lll2for3lll (Post 441387)
Just pull the bumper off. The passenger headlight always come out easy without pulling the bumper off but you're not getting the driver side out with the bumper on. You're just making the process harder and longer.

As for the rivets inside the wheel wells, I've been driving around without them since my retrofit because I'm going to take the bumper off again for more work. So if you don't have rivets, it's ok to drive around without them for a while.

X2 I've driven a while without rivets. It's so much easier with the bumper off.

infantry2124 07-03-2011 04:37 AM

Alright i guess thats whats happening twm morning. Thanks for the help

lll2for3lll 07-03-2011 05:14 AM

NP

infantry2124 07-03-2011 07:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Ok now I have the headlights out and taken apart. I have a couple of questions I now need help with. What do I do with the plastic bulb cover? That covers the factory headlight bulb. What did you guys do to remove and make it look good. Also is the only thing holding in the reflector the one screw in the back. Trying not break anything so needing all the expertise I can get

lll2for3lll 07-03-2011 08:22 PM

I wiggled the dome bulb cover back and forward and broke it off with needle nose pliers.

That screw is not the only screw that's holding the reflector in. The last picture is the adjustor make sure it's still assembled before you seal the lens.

infantry2124 07-03-2011 09:59 PM

Did you shave the lip that was left from the bulb housing? I plan on painting the reflectors?

lll2for3lll 07-03-2011 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infantry2124 (Post 441771)
Did you shave the lip that was left from the bulb housing? I plan on painting the reflectors?

I'm not understanding.......

infantry2124 07-03-2011 10:33 PM

The little plastic part the the dome bulb housing was connected to.

lll2for3lll 07-04-2011 05:55 AM

Oh. No. Leave what's left over. As long as you got it out enough so the projector fit it. You won't see any of that stuff because the projector hides it all.

You see people. This is why I did a guide. It's good questions like this that makes the process confusing. It's not hard AT ALL. It only seems hard. Questions like the ones above will leave you stuck because you're not really sure what to do but it's not because it's hard, it's because we don't want to **** anything up. Lol.

DCSpecial 07-04-2011 07:43 PM

I am on my third set of headlights and cmn1 is on his 4th.......haven't pulled a front bumper yet :)