Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   first use of hill descent control .... problem? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/first-use-of-hill-descent-control-problem-25244.html)

1200RT-P 07-03-2011 02:55 AM

first use of hill descent control .... problem?

I did some mild offroading this afternoon - and was presented with a decent sized down hill grade. Not necessarily steep enough to warrant hill descent control, but I wanted to try it out.

What I experienced was semi unnerving.

When engaged, there was a pretty bad grinding noise while underway, almost like a steady groan. HDC worked as design - the sound just didnt seem right.

Let me put it like this - it almost sounded like the truck was bottoming out and dragging on the dirt. Enough so, where I altered my track to make sure.

I should also add, when done with the hill, where was a distinct smell from the drive line. Almost like a burning clutch. Should I assume this is due to the first use of low range and HDC - breaking in?

I can't imagine this is normal?

Knightrider03m 07-03-2011 03:05 AM

Re: first use of hill descent control .... problem?

That is a normal sound. That is the system working for you. The 1st time that I used it, I didn't smell anything nor should I.

1200RT-P 07-03-2011 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knightrider03m (Post 441386)
That is a normal sound. That is the system working for you. The 1st time that I used it, I didn't smell anything nor should I.

Well glad to hear about the noise. The smell is much less of a concern, just smells like new components breaking in.

IndyBob 07-03-2011 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1200RT-P (Post 441382)
I did some mild offroading this afternoon - and was presented with a decent sized down hill grade. Not necessarily steep enough to warrant hill descent control, but I wanted to try it out.

What I experienced was semi unnerving.

When engaged, there was a pretty bad grinding noise while underway, almost like a steady groan. HDC worked as design - the sound just didnt seem right.

Let me put it like this - it almost sounded like the truck was bottoming out and dragging on the dirt. Enough so, where I altered my track to make sure.

I should also add, when done with the hill, where was a distinct smell from the drive line. Almost like a burning clutch. Should I assume this is due to the first use of low range and HDC - breaking in?

I can't imagine this is normal?

While in Moab a week or so ago I used the Hill Decent a lot. I found it to be one the best new features. I did not notice any smell or unexpected noises. There was the sound of the vehicle "walking down" as it did its thing on the rocks.

Skier95746 10-03-2011 01:06 PM

Pulling up an old thread here, but I'm curious - can Hill Descent be used only in Low Range, or in High Range, as well? The owners manual says it only will function in low range, but the Android app says it will work in high or low range. I tried engaging it on a hill in high range and the indicator just blinked and turned off, so I'm assuming it only works in 4Low, but wanted to double-check.

Thanks,
Eric

brianm929 10-03-2011 01:08 PM

Four low only. Some versions of the manual are wrong...like mine.

1200RT-P 10-03-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianm929 (Post 493526)
Four low only. Some versions of the manual are wrong...like mine.

x2. works in 4Lo only.

Cherodude 10-03-2011 01:43 PM

I agree - only works in 4 Lo.

Skier95746 10-03-2011 05:42 PM

okay - thanks. Makes sense, although I'd actually use a version that was designed for controlling speed down hill in 4High or on pavement. Cruise control tries by downshifting, but doesn't always control speed w/o intervention.

jeep2011 10-03-2011 07:01 PM

Yup that is normal. The Jeep is quiet in comparison to the RR it was extremely loud when using HDC. Of course the RR did work in high range and in reverse too.

Kevlars 10-11-2011 10:50 AM

The HDC works in revers as well just in 4low.

dlthunder 10-13-2011 09:09 AM

Just to confirm, the owners manual on my 2012 says works in 4hi and low, this is a typo? Just want to make sure.