Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Not going to tow but... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/not-going-to-tow-but-25272.html)

BuckeyeSRT 07-03-2011 10:49 PM

Not going to tow but...

I have a 2 inch receiver bike rack and my thoughts were just buy a hidden hitch or some other brand and install it myself. From the looks of things its not to hard with the 2011 GC so I am hoping the 2012 SRT will be bolt on as well.
Can anyone support me in that thought?

lll2for3lll 07-04-2011 06:41 AM

Re: Not going to tow but...

Put the bikes on the roof. Maybe???

mjw930 07-04-2011 07:44 AM

The factory package is only $300 and it may come with the cover so it's not seen. Seems like the best option IMHO. Oh, you get all the wiring too!

VerbalKint 07-04-2011 08:36 AM

^--- Agreed!! Hopefully it comes with a cover... I haven't seen or heard definitively.

VerbalKint 07-04-2011 08:56 AM

Actually.. maybe this helps.

From the SRT8 press realese. "At the rear, the SRT performance influence continues with a new liftgate spoiler that reduces drag and improves downforce. A unique one-piece rear fascia includes a separate air diffuser along with an available trailer receiver and access cover"

BuckeyeSRT 07-05-2011 07:12 AM

Roof is not an option. My order is in so I don't want to jeopardize my place in line (not sure it does or not).

mjw930 07-05-2011 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckeyeSRT (Post 442340)
Roof is not an option. My order is in so I don't want to jeopardize my place in line (not sure it does or not).

You should be able to dealer install the factory parts. The aftermarket mounts under the bumper and wouldn't exactly maintain the "look" of the rear everyone here seems to be so concerned with :cool:

SRTDogg 07-05-2011 11:45 AM

Yeah I would buy a tow pkg no matter what, even if I had no plans to ever tow. All it takes is one time when you NEED it and you will wish you had it. Having U-Haul or some other aftermarket mount put on will kill your rear end look and off-road-ability (not that you might off-road your SRT8 though). I don't plan to tow on mine and don't have a boat right now, so I don't need it BUT I'm getting it just in case. It has a plastic piece that goes over it so that makes me happy... :)

P-Dawger 07-05-2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjw930 (Post 441863)
The factory package is only $300 and it may come with the cover so it's not seen. Seems like the best option IMHO. Oh, you get all the wiring too!

Yeah only $300 for an extra 100lbs of heft.....:cool:

How many bikes you hauling - quick release front wheel, fold the seats....yada yada yada....

Yeah I know - shut up about weight :p

SRTDogg 07-05-2011 04:46 PM

Not to mention rear spare tire and/or cooler carrier (for those whining about suddenly there being no spare tire even though there has NEVER been a spare tire for the LX or WK SRT8 platforms)... *shrug*

I'm not here to tell everyone to get a tow pkg. I'm just warning those who are on the fence. Trust me, you do NOT want to get an aftermarket tow pkg down the road...

Scottina06 07-05-2011 06:52 PM

are the oem tow packs bolted on or welded? I ordered the tow...just to have it....but now Im regretting if its welded.

BuckeyeSRT 07-06-2011 06:48 AM

I am going to gamble and shop an aftermarket hitch(or Mopar) after I get my GC. I am confident that I will be able to find one that will be hidden behind the little door in the bumper.