Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

QL compressor #3

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  andyh 
#1 ·
Taking the car in for another QL compressor replacement this week. I'm at 6000 miles. :lol:

On the bright side, the 2nd compressor lasted 5 times longer than the original. Third times a charm right? :lol::lol::lol:

#3 ·
I almost never use it "manually". I just let it do the self leveling.

I had just returned from a 300 mile round trip with my horse trailer. Took the car to the car wash and tried to raise it to off road 2 so I could clean out the wheel wells. Compressor is real loud and the car would never lift.

IMO, it's not a robust solution.

#4 · (Edited)
Sorry to her man. Hope they fix it for good. You have to wonder. Rover never really got it right, BMW doesnt even offer it as an option on the x5, the new tourareg doesn't have it in the US. All of these vehicles are in a different price bracket as well. How Jeep can offer the same at a much lower price point ? My thought is corners are getting cut somewhere. Even on the cayenne it's only standard on the cayenne turbo s. Are they giving you a decent explanation for the failures ??

It's just annoying to have to take a new car in the shop frequently for something as simple as a suspension - I'd like to think of this as a basic functional req that should just work. I assume the new srt8 is not riding on air either ?

#6 ·
I read somewhere that if you have a small, leak, the compressor runs often and can overheat leading to failures. This appears to be the leading cause of compressor failures, but I dunno.

#8 ·
bummer man.. hope they figure it out. I'm on compressor #2 now and have almost 10k miles on it and it's still good *knocks on wood*

on a tangent, but does the new Merc ML use the same compressor for its air suspension?

#9 ·
All funny now while it's under warranty, but I have pity for the poor person who has to replace what I imagine is an expensive part often out of warranty.

But anyway, I'm with a few others here, the dealer is definately missing something. No way would 3 comps fail in that short time if there wasn't a reason for it.

#10 ·
The compressor isn't "officially" diagnosed as dead yet, but it's the same symptoms. I agree that the problem is elsewhere. I have had the control module replaced as well. The next closest dealer is about 40 miles away. I have a spare car so I'm just going to let these guys work it out. 8 more shop days and I can lemon it.

#11 ·
The compressor isn't "officially" diagnosed as dead yet, but it's the same symptoms. I agree that the problem is elsewhere. I have had the control module replaced as well. The next closest dealer is about 40 miles away. I have a spare car so I'm just going to let these guys work it out. 8 more shop days and I can lemon it.

When they replaced it last time did they refill the system with the proper class 5 Nitrogen?

#13 ·
Could just be a bad batch of compressors.

I once had a vehicle where I kept having to have the throttle body cable replaced. I went through about 5 of them in six months. Turned out there was batch of them all made with a particular defect and the dealship's replacements were all coming from the same batch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.