Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

V6 Vibrations at 50 to 60 MPH

7K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  jmckenna 
#1 · (Edited)
I know there have been threads on the 5.7 shudders. But, not sure I've seen any for the 3.6. I noticed a very slight vibration, almost like a droning. Have only noticed it between 50-60 MPH. If I shift down, it doesn't seem as apparent, but not sure if it is still there or not. Has anyone witnessed this themselves or maybe have seen a thread on the subject?

I have an appointment for an oil change tomorrow. So, if there are any TSB's I should now about, please let me know.

600 miles on vehicle.

Thanks!

#4 ·
Seems like it's coming from the drive line or diff. But, may be resonating to the rear from the transmission.

Is yours also nearly undetectable?

Thanks,

#6 ·
No, it's like a very high speed vibration (almost like a droning). Barely detectable, but it is there between ~50 and 60 mph.

#8 ·
I thought the transmission updates were only for the Hemi? Will bring it up with my service manager tomorrow morning.

Thanks again,

#9 ·
This new jeep blows away most new suv's in almost every way in my opinion. Unless your talking x5 4.8 or a new v8 cayenne, this jeep is superior. Unfortunately there are minor bugs to be worked out. The issue you are experiencing is one of them. Jeep is working on it and getting things fixed slowly but surely.

Having a good dealer makes all the difference. I hope things work out, good luck!!

#10 ·
I agree! It's an incredible vehicle for the money and we (Canada) pay roughly $10,000 more than what you pay, in the US, for the same vehicle.

I did think that by buying later in the model year, all of the bugs would have been worked out. But, I guess there are still some minor ones to take care of.

Very happy with the people at my dealership.

Thanks for your comments.

#11 · (Edited)
I've experienced this sensation in my V6 Overland 3-4 times in the past at highway speeds, but not in the last 2-3 thousand miles or so (I'm at 5k now), which have included a couple road trips.

Personally, I think it's the clutch packs in the differentials or transfer case chattering a bit, and it cleared up after some break-in time.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it :)

#13 ·
Over 5K miles on my Laredo X V6, no issues with shudder or vibration.

I do notice that the engine vibrates a bit at idle but that's just looking at it with the hood up. Seems like the mounts isolate the vibration from the chassis pretty well since I don't feel it from inside the vehicle.

#14 ·
OP: I hope you can resolve the problem, but just so you know is not on all V6 vehicles, I can say I have no such vibration at any speed, with a build date last November. Now at 26,000 kms.

I have had the V6 engine and throttle/tranny TSBs applied, but I did not have any vibration even before they were done.

#16 ·
Haven't noticed it in the last couple of days! Just as Danno85 mentioned, it just went away. Will post if it reoccurs.

Thanks for everyone's comments!

Don't you just love this machine!!!

#18 ·
My 2011 GC Overland has had noticable vibrations at 40-70 mph from day one to my current 5,300 miles. Feels alot like the wheels are out of balance. Tires have been replaced and rebalanced but problem persists. The service mgr agrees it is vibrating/wobbling/bouncing/shaking but doesn't know what to fix or where to begin.

Wouldn't be so bad but I regularly drive long distances and it is really annoying after a couple of hours behind the wheel. Especially considering the $$$ paid for this model.

I've driven another 2011 Overland and it had similar, though not as bad, characteristics. Doesn't matter if it is in Auto, Snow, or Sport mode.

Greatly appreciate hearing if any other Overlands have this problem and any ideas or suggestons to get resolved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.