Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Aftermarket tow hitch (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/aftermarket-tow-hitch-25341.html)

Johan 07-06-2011 04:33 AM

Aftermarket tow hitch

Aftermarket tow hitch
What are the benefits to have a tow hitch fitted by a dealer? Are there any special procedures that they follow?
Here is SA the dealers are about a 2/3 more expensive than the independent suppliers. There is also no noticeable difference in the quality and come with their own guarantee.
What do you suggest, and what effect can it have on your warrantee if you go the independent way?

52233 07-06-2011 07:32 AM

Re: Aftermarket tow hitch

From a quality standpoint, the aftermarket hitches seem to rust way worse up here in canada then the factory hitches, Quality OEM are better.

mhardine 07-06-2011 08:26 AM

True

Crestwood1001 07-06-2011 03:49 PM

Oem looks better to. I can't stand looking at the backs of WK's with aftermarket hitches. It dosnt look right unless its cut into the bumper

Milous 07-06-2011 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crestwood1001 (Post 443121)
oem looks better to. I can't stand looking at the backs of wk's with aftermarket hitches. It dosnt look right unless its cut into the bumper

^^ +1 !!!!!

2005JGC 07-06-2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 (Post 443121)
Oem looks better to. I can't stand looking at the backs of WK's with aftermarket hitches. It dosnt look right unless its cut into the bumper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milous (Post 443122)
^^ +1 !!!!!

+2 ...

The factory hitch is really pretty clean looking and if anything adds to the lines/look of the jeep, personally my bumper preferance would be srt (no hitch ;) ) wk w/ tow hitch, and lastly wk w/ out

antsjeep 07-06-2011 08:35 PM

OEM is usually the way to go in most cases like this. But it can add up rather quickly, between buying the bezel, stock wiring harness, the hitch and the time it will take to install everything, especially at the dealer $$.

If i were you consider the install yourself and gather the parts off ebay, you'll save alot.

OR.... you can buy a draw-tite or curt hitch off ebay for $113 shipped and an aftermarket harness for about $25 shipped. I plan on going with a draw-tite mainly for a recovery shackel (trails) and or cargo carrier (for camping).

Just something to think about ;)

Johan 07-07-2011 12:20 AM

Thanks guys for your response. This issue is really haunting me, I am actually prepared to get rid of my aftermarket hitch and let the dealers then fit their expensive approved stuff. My main concern is the warranty. My Jeep is still fairly new with a substantial part of its maintenance plan left, I don't want to risk loosing it to a non factory tow hitch.
I must add that the company that manufactured my hitch is well known in SA, they are responsible for factory hitches for most trucks assembled here and exhaust pipes for about all the cars that are assembled here.
What makes me uncomfortable is the fact that labour make up the largest part of the dealers costs. What is that, wat the dealers do that we don't know?
Could it be the cut out of the bumper?

Crestwood1001 07-07-2011 08:16 AM

Dealers are always gonna be expensive, but if you wanna do it right and go OEM then just bit the bullet and do it. Its gonna pay off in the long run.