Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   scratched wheel (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/scratched-wheel-25360.html)

cloud11244 07-06-2011 06:08 PM

scratched wheel

I rubbed up against a sidewalk today and scratched the 20 inch wheel on my Overland. It is the 20-inch Satin Carbon Painted Cast Aluminum wheel which is standard on the Overland. Is it possible to touch-up this scratch? Does MOPAR have a touch-up paint for these wheels? This is the first scratch I have on this JEEP!

fourwheelin7 07-06-2011 07:02 PM

Re: scratched wheel

Don't know for sure but I'm willing to think they should have it. But sometimes with new models or paints it takes them quite awhile to get them in stock, not one of their priorities. Best be to give the dealer a call and check.

cloud11244 07-07-2011 02:55 PM

Dealer said MOPAR does not make touch-up paint for wheels. So, I'll have to shop around for aluminum colored touch-up paint. Thanks!

SW03ES 07-07-2011 04:03 PM

What you want to do is find a a company that refinishes alloy wheels. I just did this on my Lexus and the Lexus dealer has a great contractor who touches up wheels, they pull the factory paint code and custom mix the paint, sand the scuff smooth, spray the color and clear, wetsand the area into the wheel and buff. Result is 100% perfect.

I don't suppose you live in the metro DC area do you? I'd be happy to give you the guy's info, but there are lots of companies who do this around...

Celly 07-07-2011 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud11244 (Post 443631)
Dealer said MOPAR does not make touch-up paint for wheels. So, I'll have to shop around for aluminum colored touch-up paint. Thanks!

If you looking your area for Wheel repair, you can most likely find someone who will make it look factory new. If you do lots of city driving and Parallel parking, your best bet is to find one of these shops, and make them your best friends... ;)

Edit:

The best thing to look for is 'Bent Rim/Wheel Repair' -- That will be the shop you need to talk to.

SvenskaJeepGuy 07-07-2011 10:08 PM

search for a loacl wheel repair company, they bring a truck right to you and fix it while you work or in your driveway

AquaForester 07-08-2011 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourwheelin7 (Post 443229)
Don't know for sure but I'm willing to think they should have it. But sometimes with new models or paints it takes them quite awhile to get them in stock, not one of their priorities. Best be to give the dealer a call and check.

Not to jack the thread, but did the dealer do your 20" wheel upgrade or did you do it yourself.

fourwheelin7 07-08-2011 11:22 AM

I did mine myself.

rb3wreath 07-08-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourwheelin7 (Post 444095)
I did mine myself.

Before and after pics?

cloud11244 07-08-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourwheelin7 (Post 444095)
I did mine myself.

If you don't mind my asking, how did you do it yourself? Did you find some aluminum touch up paint at an auto store? I've gotten quotes of $100. to $200. to get the wheel done profesionally. I hate to spend that kind of money for a 2-inch scrape. Thanks!

GTOGreg 07-10-2011 10:42 AM

I used this tutorial several years ago with success: http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/w...uff-repair.htm

pointofcontact 12-01-2011 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SW03ES (Post 443673)

I don't suppose you live in the metro DC area do you? I'd be happy to give you the guy's info, but there are lots of companies who do this around...

Hey there - I have the same problem (scratched my 20" wheel) - I also happen to live in DC - mind forwarding me the info on the mobile repair service?

Thanks much for your time!

Best,
Tom